Saturday, September 5, 2009

I did it.

I could not have asked for a better day yesterday. kent had the ENTIRE day off and was not just coming off a night shift- PLUS we had all sorts of fun and adventurous activities ALL day. We had a race- a train party- a baptism- and a great bbq! I'm soooo glad that this was one of the days Kent didn't have to go in.

We woke up bright and early and drove to Bowling Green for my Boy Scout Soaring Eagle half-marathon. I absolutely loved it. It's definitely my favorite race length. The 13 miles keeps me at a pace that is enjoyable. I don't feel like I have to ever sprint like crazy- and I don't get too tired or bored. Plus- it's totally trainable with 2 kids in the double jogger. I did NOT run this race with them and I think that's what made it seem so easy. If my calculations are correct- I have put in over 700 miles pushing those rugrats (over 75 pounds including the stroller!) since Ike was born! it felt so heavenly to be kidless.
Kent and the kiddos started off the race with me and then cheered me on at different spots along the course. I also had a friend who ran the 5k- and then came and cheered me on and ran with me in a few spots- thanks so much, cyndi! It was the first year the race has ever been run- so there weren't all that many runners and it ended up being pleasant. I just ran out amongst the cows and horses (and a few patches of really foul smelling manure), rows of corn- and a few sporadic runners- for the first nine miles. When Kent took this picture -Zeb was up on his shoulders yelling "it's mama! it's mama!" He spotted me from quite a ways away.
There were even missionaries from the local ward doing their service at mile 11! they were manning the water station and seeing them gave me a boost of energy for the last three miles. I'm sure they thought I was crazy as I ran past yelling " I love missionaries!".

Here we are before the race checking out the police cars and motorcycles.

and finally- here's my medal. All finishers got medals- and I was pretty excited. I've never gotten a medal for anything before. I wore it on the drive home. Plus- it made up for the poo colored shirts they handed out. I know poo is the official boy scout color- but couldn't they have gone with red, white, or blue and been patriotic or something?!

10 comments:

Cynthia said...

Congrats on running a half marathon! I am glad you found your perfect race distance. Some day you may inspire me to run a 13 miler, but I think it will be a one time event thing for me. So when can we expect your marathon run?!? I will totally come a cheer you on and run a couple times with you. It reminded me of the biggest loser when their friends got to come and run a little of the race with them. It was really fun seeing you run!!

Emilee said...

I agree. Half-marathon is an awesome race length. I want to get motivated for a whole marathon, but the training time would be exhausting. Plus, what can you do in 26 miles that you can't do in 13? Congratulations!

M- your favorite said...

WAY TO GO! I was thinking about you on your run day. SO I am glad you had a great run! I wish I was a runner. I know, I know I can train to run. :) I have the Miller knees! But way to go. You are Awesome!

Delaps said...

I am so impressed and hope to join you next year. You and the cows!

yaya said...

Leisy, Jack says the "poo" color is called khaki and he has many "poo" colored shirts. When you've been in scouts over 20yrs you get attached (or attacked) to that shade. Congrats on getting a medal..you deserve one just for running with 2 kids and a stroller every day! You're my hero!

Pat and Brent said...

Way to go Leisy! You are an amazing person. Thanks for all the cute pictures. I love your blog. It was so good to have you here for a little while. We miss you. That's why it's so nice to keep up with what your doing this way.

Amy and Craig said...

I do run the races for the shirt most of the time. I usually check out the shirt before I commit and also what month we'll run it in. I'll do the BMW race this month because it's Sept and it hopefully won't be too hot!

dockters said...

I'm WAY impressed! YOu didn't even sound the least bit winded or tired when I talked to you right after. You're amazing!

Steve and Hailey said...

Honestly, I am 100% jealous. I wish that was me or at least me running with you. I'm so proud of you. The idea of running makes me sick. I remember running the mile as a kid and coming in behind all the cute girls and being red faced the rest of the day. Oh it was awful.

Linz said...

Congrats on your run!! THat is so great!! way to go!