Tuesday, May 19, 2009

baby chimp and tasty dinner recipe

Doesn't this kid look like a baby chimpanzee? I really need to get some more videos of him to put up. He is getting funnier and funnier.
And here's another recipe. I'm in dire need of some too- so post your summer favorites, please!!
It's been significantly warmer the past few days and I just haven't been in the mood to use the oven or eat anything hot for dinners. One of my favorite foods EVER is the bbq chicken salad from CPK so tonight we made it. It was FABULOUS and so so easy. The recipe calls for two items that we altered. #1 - fried tortilla strips. I had wonton wrappers on hand so I BAKED and salted them and added those. they were tasty and better for you. And #2- creamy herb ranch dressing. Too complicated for me to make- and not so healthy. We substituted low fat sour cream and hidden valley ranch mix.

(measurements can all be altered to fit your ingredients/wants)
1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded fine
1/2 head romaine lettuce leaves, shredded fine
1 pound jicama, cut into thin strips
2 cups Monterey Jack (or any) cheese, shredded
1 cup black beans - rinsed and drained (canned works)
1 cup corn kernels, drained (canned works)
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
2 pounds tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced

Oh- and we didn't have jicama- but I think it really makes the salad. Next time I'll get it for sure!

I just sauteed the chicken in garlic- then let it cool, shred it, and mixed it up with sweet baby ray's brown sugar bbq sauce. Mix the whole salad up- add your ranch and more bbq sauce as sauce. Such a wonderful summer dinner.

9 comments:

Amy and Craig said...

that salad looks ab-fabulous and you probably shouldn't do that to Ike's ears.. he might get stuck that way! hee hee!

Shelly and Ken said...

the salad looks delicious. I love trying new recipes. I need to pull out my summer recipes. Expecially with how hot it is suppose to get the next two days.

M- your favorite said...

I LOVE that salad also. it's my favorite. So I think I am making this tonight! I LOVE IT!

Baby Ike is so dang cute!

Michelle said...

Ike ... hahahaha! So SO cute!

I love the recipes you post!

Jenny and Jake said...

Thanks for the recipe ideas, I get in such a rut and make the same things over and over! Looks yummy!

Jenni said...

Hey, Steve and I have been making this almost every week for like the past month. We love it. And the jicama is very good, so definitely add that next time. (they sell it at monettes I know). That is funny that you posted this recipe on here, I was just getting ready to add it to my food blog as well :) And also, we do the same thing for the dressing-- fat free sour cream and ranch mix. That way you still feel good about eating tons of it!!! mmm.... I was actually going to make it tomorrow. I bought all the ingredients earlier today.

Jenni said...

Hey, if you want to venture out and try a salad that's another one of our favorites, go to this link on my food blog.

http://tollerfood.blogspot.com/2008/08/ginger-salad-dressing.html

Susan said...

Very gourmet! Is the pic your actual salad or is a taken from CPK website? It's mouth watering.

Kent and Leisy said...

susan- it's the cpk salad- although mine did look mouth watering :)