Sunday, May 3, 2009

Waaaaaaaahoo.

The white trash in me just can't help coming out this time of year. Here come the yard sales! I don't know why I get so excited about them. Growing up we NEVER went to them (that I remember anyway). As far as I recall my mother taught us that they were "dirty". Now I just can't help myself. I've found myself scouring craigslist for the new listings and organizing my plan of attack. I only stick to the nicer/closer neighborhoods and try to attend the yard sales that have children's items. And in my defense the sales around here are pretty spectacular.

Some of Zeb's most fabulous clothes come from yard sales! His shoes too. This past weekend I found a yard sale that had TRAINS. I've said it before- but these trains are nigh impossible to find at yard sales and inordinately expensive new. I hit the sale up at nine on the dot the first day it opened. The place was already packed! I did get my pick of trains, however! Zeb's favorite was the battery powered Thomas. I got it for a mere 50 cents.


Happy yard sale shopping!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh but we DID go them. A couple. Maybe in the Stringer's yard or the Watabe's. And of course we had one. I love them too...just bought Natalie a bunch of clothes on Sat.

dockters said...

You are the bargain finding queen! I need to go yard sale shopping with you because I never seem to come across the amazing finds that you do!

Pat and Brent said...

I've never been able to do yard sales. I'm anxious to get rid of my own junk, not collect someone elses. However, I realize you can get some great things if you're willing to look. Have fun.

Kristen said...

I love garage sales too! I've turned Matt onto the treasure seeking fun of it too. I'm on craigslist every friday night lately seeing what good ones are going on early the next morning. We are using them lately to find a good crib and other baby items.

Michelle said...

Never.

I repeat .... I NEVER!!!!

hahaha. You always seem to find the best deals. I bet Zeb loves that train. And at 50 cents .... that's awesome!

Philip Oswald said...

I have some theories about your attraction to 'garage sales'. You probably inherited a Grandpa Howell gene. Need based market pressures are a factor. Your Mom simply detests the clutter created by 'junk'. Your Dad is a gatherer so you may have genes from both sides of the family that are a influence.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

It's the thrill of getting something new or near new for a pittance of retail! You can just drive by the trashy ones.

M- your favorite said...

Not my favorite thing. I think I have been to maybe 2 or 3 in my life. I don't think I bought anything from them. but glad you found some good deals and there are people out there that love to by other peoples stuff.

yaya said...

Now that's the way to live in these hard econ times! Good girl!

Jennie said...

We have one sale in particular that happens every 6 months out here. It's put on by a mothers group in a wealthy community and they're serious about the term "gently used". I've gotten snow suits and laura ashley dresses with the retail tags still on there many a time. Ten dollars buys you a shopping bag and then you stuff it with all the goodies you can ;) Saturday we went and got 85 items for what works out to a quarter a pop (2 bags)! No shame. Not a bit of it!

boysmum2 said...

Way to go you