Thursday, October 25, 2007

Yet another recipe

I'm always looking for new dinner/dessert or whatever, so if anyone has any great ones, I'd LOVE for you to post them or just send them my way. Really, I WANT RECIPES.

Here is another one of my tester dinners! the flash made the mac and cheese glow but it really was amazing. I loved it and Kent gave it a ten!!! definately a redo dinner. I love-love-love mac and cheese but it isn't really balanced or swimming with a plethora of healthy ingredients. This little recipe is a great way to enjoy the mac and cheese and add some tasty health and goodness. The veggies tasted really really good in it all. Plus, I am now a ground turkey advocate. I think that it even tastes lots better than ground beef! My mom always said, the fewer legs something has, the better it is for you! i.e., fish!

It is a Rachael Ray specialty, and no I haven't heard back from the show! I'll keep you all posted if I do hear anything.

Here are the ingredients. The directions are a bit longer so I included the link if you are interested! It was actually quite easy to make. I halved the recipe and we still had leftovers for Kent's lunch at school today.

Italian Shepherd's Pie
1 1/2 pounds mini penne or any mini short-cut pasta (I used whole wheat pasta!) Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
3 pounds ground turkey (extra lean)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
5 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 medium-size or 1 huge softball-size onion, diced
3 medium-size carrots, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced (even thought I halved it I still used an entire zucchini)
1 red bell pepper, diced (I put some orange and yellow in as well)
2 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded provolone (I used the preshredded Italian mix from Kraft)
1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese (I used one of those containers that also had romano in it)

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/italian-shepherds-pie/

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Typically, shepherd's pie has lamb or mutton in it, that's why they call is shepherd's pie. I think we should call this turkey farmer pie.

Kent and Leisy said...

nice one anonymous. maybe we should call you chicken.

taylor and laney said...

who is this anonymous blogger? they bug me.

Kent and Leisy said...

I have no idea who that one was. I thought maybe you two did it.

Erin said...

I have a recipe for you to try. It is a salmon marinade. And even if you don't like salmon, after sitting in this marinade it doesn't even taste like fish; it practically tastes like candy. You'll love it! (My kids eat even more than Christian does when I make this salmon!)

1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Get enough salmon for 2-3 people to eat (I buy the ones from Sam's Club that come in 6 or 8 oz portions). Then cut it into 1 inch strips. Let sit in the marinade for 3-4 hours, and then take it out of the marinade and let bake in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

Erin said...

Something else I do when we're really poor at the end of the month is warm up chili con carne (or without carne, I like Nalley and Hormel) and serve it over rice. Then sprinkle cheese and onions if you want on the top. It's something my kids will actually eat, and they don't eat much. Thanks for the recipes on your blog. I always love trying new things.

Jeni said...

I tried this recipe and it WAS really good! I hate trying new recipes until I know a normal person (not a chef on T.V.) has tried them so I trusted you, Leisy and I tried it and it was a hit! Unfortunately I didn't have provolone or asiago so I substituted mozzarella and parm and it was still really good! And we all loved the ground Turkey - I'm going to try it in all my recipes that call for beef!