Saturday, October 27, 2007

Full Moon Walk

On every full moon the park near our house hosts a "full moon walk". We had tried to go in the past but couldn't ever get the timing to work with our schedules and they were always on school nights! Last night was the perfect weather and timing so we decided to go with our neighbors. It ended up being a lot of fun! We had two guides who were two of the nicest people I've yet to meet in Ohio! They were such naturalists and loved their jobs. It really would be a dream job! working for the parks, giving tours, watching animals, and all sorts of great stuff.

We saw lots of deer, heard owls, spotted some glow worms (yes, they really do glow in the dark), and even thought we heard flying squirrels. One of the guides told us a story about a nature photographer at a nearby park who was charged by a deer and killed by antlers to the heart! Pretty intense huh? Lately when I'm running there will be deer really close to the path (sometime less than five feet away) and sometimes they'll jump across the trail right in front of me. I keep envisioning a hoof clipping zeb in the head and his brains spilling out or an eyeball being plucked out as they jump over the stroller. The story didn't help my paranoia at all.

At a really dark part of the trail the guides handed out lifesavers and we did the "spark in the dark" thing. I recommend trying it out for those of you who haven't. Just take wintergreen lifesavers and crunch them up in your teeth. They'll spark.

As you can tell from the pictures, the litte rugrat slept through the entire walk! Too bad for him. Near the end of the walk I asked the guides about the upcoming levy related to the metroparks and they sent me home with these great posters to put up in our yard! Elections are in just a few weeks :) Plus we talked to the guides lots about Utah! They'd both been and absolutely loved it! They loved that we'd all served missions and been around the world too. I love being able to meet new people. It really is one of my favorite things in the world.

2 comments:

Deneal said...

Leisy you are so crazy intense about the deer. I miss the intensity.

Sounds like a really neat walk. So many different creatures out and about. If we ever make it to Ohio we'll plan it around a full moon. :-)

Michelle said...

You guys are an adorable family. You are both AMAZING at meeting and be-friend-ing (is that a word?)new people. I don't worry much about deer - it's meeting new people that is anxiety building for me! :) Please stay safe around those deer!!!!!!