Monday, February 1, 2010

!!

I am a girl of extremes.  My entire life I've been told that I'm one giant superlative. For me it's almost always an ultimate love or an utmost disdain.  My life is full of the MOST ridiculous experiences or the BEST EVER foods or the WORST things ever, etc.  Either I love it or I hate it.  And I think it's what makes my life so great.  I'm a super taster (this article describes me almost to a T- even down to thinking that cilantro tastes like soap) and apparently a super"lifer", too. 

And the whole point of explaining this via blog is so that I can make a list.  A list of the things that I'd die for right now.  That I just love so so much. I've felt myself in a bit of an "extremes" craze lately and I thought I'd share.


1. snyders honey mustard and onion pretzel pieces.  If you haven't tried them you are missing out BIG time. Sure, they look nasty- but they are beyond amazing.

2. hershey's double chocolate nuggets. Smooth and creamy milk chocolate on top with bitter dark chocolate on bottom.  mmmmm.  the perfect little combination.

3. my exersurprize class at the gym. I thought it was going to be my easy day with a name like that- but it turns out this class is harder than hard and it's fantastic. 

4. my husband.  he's astounding. happy first day of valentines, ralph.

5. and finally, this recipe.  It's unreal.  Delicious.  Totally doesn't count as dinner because it's too sweet and treaty- but it's what we had for dinner tonight anyway. oh- and the homemade buttermilk syrup is a MUST.

from "taste of home"
Sourcream Blueberry pancakes! made plenty for us -plus leftovers.
2 c. all-purpose flour
¼ c. sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 eggs
1 ½ c. milk
1 c. (8-oz) sour cream - this is one of the few things I don't like to go fat free on.  I'll go light, though.
1/3 c. butter, melted
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries (I use frozen)

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk, sour cream, and butter; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Pour batter by ¼ cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle and drop on blueberries (we cut ours smaller); flip when golden on bottom. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
Buttermilk Syrup ( I halved this and still had plenty left)
  • 1.5  cup white sugar ( I reduced this to just one cup)
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk (3/4 c milk with 1.5 tsp lemon juice left to sit for 3-4 minutes and then stirred well)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Bring sugar, milk, butter, and corn syrup to a boil and let bubble for seven minutes (stirring regularly).  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Let cool.

    5 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Okay, I bought those Hershey's nuggets at Target because they were on clearance but did not care for them AT ALL.

    Dave and Michelle Howell said...

    I think cilantro tastes (and smells) like stinky socks. And I had some honey mustard and onion pretzel pieces on Saturday. Good as ever!

    Emily Frame said...

    i too hate cilantro...

    and love that your a love it or hate it girl.

    Gio, Tasha, and Bella said...

    Mmm, those pancakes look good!

    brittani c. said...

    Once I had buttermilk syrup, it's really hard to go back to maple. Have you tried the coconut syrup on the Sisters' Cafe? Soooo good.