Thursday, March 27, 2008

the MVL-- mexican vegetarian lasagna

I love to post recipes on my blog to share with others (I've added them to my left sidebar below blog links). Even more so I love when other people post recipes so that I can steal them!

My friend, Julie, posted a recipe for Chilaquiles on her blog (hers look more appetizing then mine). I am (as always) in desperate need of new dinner recipes and it looked delish so I thought I'd give it a whirl (thanks julie!). I had to tone it down from her Texan style to my milk toast tongue and ended up making so many changes that I decided to change the name of my concoction. Same idea, different flair. Some of the ingredients are a little odd, but surprisingly it was really good! Kent and I both gave it an eight.
I actually think that this will be a hit in the Taylor and Laney household-although I may be very very wrong.

three tortillas
1 can drained kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1-2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shredded potatoes (hashbrowns)
1 cup corn
1 small onion
1 can refried beans
garlic
small can tomato sauce (about 1/2 cup)
taco seasoning
cheese
sour cream

Saute the onions and garlic in oil until onions are soft. Add carrots, potatoes, and tomato sauce and simmer until carrots are softened. Add kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, and seasonings. Cook about five more minutes.
Spread refried beans on the tortillas. Cut them in half (or you can use a round pie tin dish) and start a bottom layer. Spread 1/3 of the mix over first layer. Top with some cheese. Continue layering until everything is used up! sprinkle cheese on top and bake at 400 for twenty minutes. Top with sour cream.

3 comments:

taylor and laney said...

i think it looks quite good. i think i would do black beans instead of kidney (black have more fiber and we all know i am in despereate need of more fiber) and I may leave out the carrots, but its worth a try. the potatoes look delicious in it.

Kent and Leisy said...

the carrots are actually really good! and I agree about the black beans--Kent wanted kidney though.
you may need fiber but you certainly don't need any beans to add to your gassy lassy problem.

Julie Sacks said...

I'm glad you liked them! When I did the recipe, it was acutally very mild. I did not even taste the heat in it from the green chilis. I have been thinking about posting recipes more often because we usually try about 2 or 3 new meals a week! I'll let you know when I run into another good one. Thanks again for the ride to the airport.