Tuesday, November 20, 2007

yet another recipe! please send me yours!!! or post them :)

I know this is probably a regular on many of your dinner tables but we just rediscovered it. there's nothing better than a quick, easy, and delicious dinner recipe! I've had the recipe forever but we hadn't made it in at least a year. This recipe is from Renae Mordecai (although altered in a few spots) and it is DELICIOUS. Kent gave it a 9.5! and with the modifications I made (very little dirty work like cutting!), it's ridiculously easy to make!












1 large potato (cut and peeled)
1 bag mixed veggies (I used the carrot/pea/corn/green bean variety..NO LIMA BEANS)
1/2 large onion
1/2 c butter
1/2 c flour
salt and pepper
1/2 tsp. thyme
1.5 c chicken broth
3/4 c milk
Cubed cooked chicken (I used two small breasts)
pastry for 2 pie crusts.

Boil potatoes until almost done. While boiling potatoes, saute onions in the butter. When onions brown, add flour, s & p, and thyme to make a gravy like mixture. We used less butter and flour so it wasn't as thick. You can always add more flour if it's too runny. Boil for two minutes and then add cooked chicken (I let mine sit in the crock pot four hours so it was super tender) and all veggies!
I don't like for the pie to have a bottom crust but kent does. Either way works. If you put in a bottom, let it bake by itself for 7-10 minutes at 425. Put all of the filling into the pie tin, cover with crust, cut slits, and bake for 15-25 minutes at 425. It is delicious! it makes 1 large potpie.

9 comments:

taylor and laney said...

i am starving. these pictures only made me hungrier. If you or kent have me for pixie pals, I would appreciate a recipe box full of recipes.

Mia said...

Yum! Send me your email address so I can invite you to read my blog - I'm private now. mlblanch@asu.edu

Mia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle said...

Wow - that looks deelish! I love pot-pie. We're having pot pie tonight made from left over roast beef. Mmmmmmmmmm ...

Anonymous said...

Crunchy Oriental Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 package (3 ounces) Oriental (or Chicken)-flavored ramen noodles
2 Tablespoons sesame seed, optional
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 Tablespoon sesame or other oil
pinch of pepper
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
4 medium green onions, sliced
1 bag (16 ounces) coleslaw mix
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange segments, drained

Melt butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Stir in seasoning packet from Ramen noodles. Break block of noodles into bite-size pieces over skillet; stir into butter mixture. Cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sesame seed (I didn't use the sesame seed). Cook about 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until noodles are golden brown; remove from heat.

Mix sugar, vinegar, oil, and pepper in large bowl. Add noodle mixture and remaining ingredients; toss.

Hint: Only make as much as you might eat in one sitting. As leftovers, it gets kind of soggy.

Kent and Leisy said...

thanks for the recipe!

Rachael said...

MMMMM... I love pot pie. But how can you not LOVE lima beans? I definitely do and now I've taught Lydia the joys of the lima, as well. Aren't all veggies yummy if you put butter on them?

Steve and Hailey said...

That looks good. I don't really like pot pie (generally) but Steve loves it. I've got to try this one out.