Saturday, November 1, 2008

We had a baby shower at my place this weekend and we decided to make cinnamon rolls since it was a breakfast open house. I really love a good cinnamon roll but I've never had much success in making them myself. This morning I made a batch that was DIVINE. It was so easy and pretty fast for a homemade roll. It is definitely not healthy and I am so glad that they were nearly gone when everyone left! they really were so good.

1 cup warm milk
1 pack rapid rise yeast
2 eggs
1/3 c soft or melted butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 c white sugar
4.5 c bread flour ( I did use bread flour because I had it on hand-I'm not sure if there would be much difference with regular flour though)

combine the yeast and milk and mix. Allow to sit a few (3-5) minutes (mine never got frothy like my regular yeast mixtures do).

mix eggs, butter, salt, and sugar. Add yeast mixture and blend. Add the flour by cups and mix with mixer while you still can (I didn't knead it at all because I mixed it a little here). The dough will be pretty sticky- don't stress. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and turn off. Place in greased glass bowl in oven covered with a damp rag or paper towel. Let rise one hour or so (until doublish in size). Roll out into rectangle (I did two rectangles) on lightly floured surface. I added a tad more flour just so it didn't stick to my hands- but don't add too much.

mix:
1 c (I did a little extra) brown sugar
1/2 c butter
2.5- 3 tbsp cinnamon

Spread the rectangles with MELTED butter and then top with sugar mix. Cut in 1 inch thick strips (mine were probably 5-6 long) and roll up. Really I just eyeballed all of this. They rise A LOT so don't make them too big.

Place in warm oven (in glass dish-a 9 by 13 will hold about 2/3 of them) again for 30 minutesish (or until you are happy with their size). Bake twenty minutes at 350 degrees. Keep an eye on them so that they don't burn or dry out.

Mine made twenty decent sized rolls! I also had some leftover sugar filling and poured it on top with about five minutes left to cook.

I used my favorite frosting!
3 c p sugar
6 tbsp milk
5 tbsp (soft) butter
vanilla

8 comments:

Linz said...

Mmmm - that sounds so yummy!!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for posting the recipe and making them for the shower. They were delish! I passed the recipe on to my friend Karrie.

Kimberly said...

Those were so so good!! Thanks for the recipe!!

dockters said...

The best rolls ever!! So glad you made them...YUM!!!!!

brittani c. said...

Amen. I'm a sucker for homemade sweet rolls.

Katy said...

Yummy! Just add a tsp of sugar to your yeast and milk and it will get frothy. It is the sugar that makes the froth. I like to use it to be sure that my yeast is still good!

Emilee said...

They look delicious! I'll have to try this recipe when we are less sugared-out from Halloween.

M- your favorite said...

Thanks I love cinnamon rolls!