Friday, November 7, 2008

CAUTION! DO NOT TOUCH THESE ANTS.

That's what the instructions on our packages said today. Today, Ellen (our wonderful apartment manager and friend) called to tell us that we'd gotten a package with "live specimens" in it. For Halloween Melynda (Kent's sis) sent us an ant habitat. The inhabitants of the habitat showed up today separately. They are disgusting and I am terrified. The instructions have the words "DO NOT TOUCH THESE ANTS" written several times in bold all caps letters. If they escape we are to use a spoon and dustpan to catch and destroy them. It also states that we "may want to wear gloves for added protection" when moving them. Apparently they "inflict a painful sting and swelling and itching".
You'll have to zoom in on the pic to get a better view of the little critters. I really hate ants. We are going to have to keep the "ant hill" up high- it is definitely NOT zeb proof and I won't be using any dustpans and spoons while wearing gloves to catch any escapees. The lid can just pop off!!

We'll keep you posted on the ant tunnel building- if they last long enough to dig the tunnels.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like this Melynda girl.

M- your favorite said...

They are HUGE! Kent they are supposed to be in the other part of the ant hill. But AWESOME! I can't wait to see if they dig tunnels. SWEET!

Cynthia said...

I am a little shocked someone sent you ants- don't you despise ants?!?

Kent and Leisy said...

cyndi- they were in a halloween package- thus the scariness. plus kent and zeb LOVE the dang ant habitat.

Beth said...

I am laughing like crazy - what a fabulous gift for you Leisy! I only wish I could have seen your face when you discovered your surprise.

Michelle said...

I get the heebyjeebies just looking at it! :) I had an ant farm in the 5th grade ... coolest thing ever. I can't wait to see the tunnels - I hope they make it!

Swelling and itching? Sheesh - they might not last too long at my house. Maybe duck tape the lid down. haha! :)

Amy and Craig said...

Down here we call them "evil fire ants" or as katie misunderstandingly says "eagle fire ants". They do bite and the bite itches and stings for a long time. I got attacked by them a couple times at the soccer field. NOT FUN!

Jedi Master Tolman said...

I am reminded of the days way back when when Jared got a bunch of ants in one of the plastic easter eggs and frieked you out! Good times.