Monday, January 5, 2009

my first "real" layered cake

I had never attempted a layered cake before this week! Surprisingly mine turned out pretty good. I don't really like cake much at all but I tasted one not too long ago that I decided to try and recreate. It is super moist and really really easy to make!

Next time I think I'll add a layer of ganache UNDER the basic frosting while the cake is still hot and let it ooze into the cake and I'll leave out the chocolate chips (they kind of burned on the edges and tasted funny) or find a better chocolate chunk to substitute. Other than that I really liked the cake. I should have taken a picture of the inside.
The cake tastes MUCH bettter if left for at least four hours (best overnight) in the fridge. Everything gets nice and moist.

Best Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
  • 1 pkg. (4 serving size) JELL-O Chocolate Flavor (or vanilla) Instant Pudding & Pie Filling
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup water
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, scraping side of bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 2 min. or until well blended.
  2. Bake 30 to 35 min. (I ONLY BAKED IT FOR 27 MINUTES and would do 25 next time) or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min. on wire rack. Loosen cakes from side of pans with spatula or knife. Invert cakes onto rack; gently remove pans. Cool completely on wire rack.
I made my favorite buttercream frosting (from eclair cake recipe) and spread it between layers and all around. The original recipe I tasted just used a ganache frosting. I'll do both next time :)

2 comments:

Linz said...

Thank you. I really want some yummy chocolate cake!

Laney said...

looks delicious! i'd make it if I hadn't just given up treats. I think this is the first thing I will eat when I am not fat anymore.