Tuesday, April 15, 2008

two in 2

Yep, two new recipes in 2 days. This one was GREAT. Kent gave it a ten! I reserve my tens for "favorites EVER" meals and gave this one just a nine.

Green apple Jamaican Jerk Cheeseburger

Doesn't it's name just make you hungry? Before continuing I must confess that I didn't actually use Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Many of you are very aware of my extreme aversion to "hot and spicy", so we found some great "sweet and tangy" bbq grill seasoning to take the jerk's place. I am sure that the Jamaican jerk seasoning would be quite delicious. This recipe did win the "Everyday" (with rachael ray) burger contest after all.

We changed ours up to make it a little more pocket and figure friendly. We also halved it and it still made three good sized burgers.
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, grated and patted dry
  • Zest of 1 lemon plus 1 1/2 tablespoons juice (I just used bottled juice-no zest)
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat works great)
  • 1/3 cup chopped chives (or green onions)
  • 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided (or regular store bought syrup)
  • 2 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning, such as McCormick, divided
  • 1- 1.5 pounds ground pork (ground turkey)
  • 8 slices applewood smoked cooked bacon (turkey bacon!)
  • 4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
  • 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
toss the apples with the lemon zest and juice. Add the mayonnaise, chives, 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1/2 tablespoon jerk seasoning. Stir to combine and refrigerate.

whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 1/2 tablespoons jerk seasoning. Add the ground pork and combine. Shape into four patties and cook them up-adding the cheese near the end.

top burgers with cooked bacon, slaw, and put on toasted buns!

5 comments:

kenna said...

You are the 'mormon' Rachael Ray. Love it.

dockters said...

Wow, Leisy, I'm impressed. Looks good! I may just have to try this recipe too! Can you bring over all of the ingredients though? :)

Cynthia said...

It looks really great! Kaitlyn said she wanted it. Problem is, there is a lot of ingredients it looks like a lot of work. Good job on your part, though!

Kristen said...

I'm currently working as a caregiver and I take care of this old guy and cook for him. So anway I found a recipe that needed jamaican jerk seasoning one day and Jerk is right, cuz I searched high and low and could NOT find it anywhere! Finally after I got it, I didn't realize how spicy it was and I maybe, possibly, might have dumped a little too much of it on my guys food, cuz by the time he was finished eating his eyes were all teary and he used up practically a whole box of tissues! OOPS! So lesson learned, jamaican jerk is not for delicate tastebudded people and I'm going to take you word for it and use the tangy bbq grill spices. That burger looks delish!

boysmum2 said...

This sounds so tasty, will have to try it some time