Green apple Jamaican Jerk Cheeseburger
Doesn't it's name just make you hungry? Before continuing I must confess that I didn't actually use Jamaican Jerk seasoning. Many of you are very aware of my extreme aversion to "hot and spicy", so we found some great "sweet and tangy" bbq grill seasoning to take the jerk's place. I am sure that the Jamaican jerk seasoning would be quite delicious. This recipe did win the "Everyday" (with rachael ray) burger contest after all.
We changed ours up to make it a little more pocket and figure friendly. We also halved it and it still made three good sized burgers.
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, grated and patted dry
- Zest of 1 lemon plus 1 1/2 tablespoons juice (I just used bottled juice-no zest)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (reduced fat works great)
- 1/3 cup chopped chives (or green onions)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup, divided (or regular store bought syrup)
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning, such as McCormick, divided
- 1- 1.5 pounds ground pork (ground turkey)
- 8 slices applewood smoked cooked bacon (turkey bacon!)
- 4 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 kaiser rolls, split and toasted
whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup and 1 1/2 tablespoons jerk seasoning. Add the ground pork and combine. Shape into four patties and cook them up-adding the cheese near the end.
top burgers with cooked bacon, slaw, and put on toasted buns!