Tuesday, April 22, 2008

the WINDY city


We are back and ever so happy to see Kent (and our beds). We had an adventurous weekend to the Windy City! One of my neighbors here was headed up to see family and at the last minute asked if Zeb and I could accompany her on the drive! Having never been to Chicago, we eagerly accepted. We had a blast- but I would NEVER wish to be a single parent and will NOT go on a trip of any sort without Kent when we have more than one child (unless of course, for some odd and exorbitant reason, I have a full time nanny).

Baby Z was so good. I dragged him through the windy streets and museums of Chicago, neglected his naps, and even forgot formula one day! but the little rugrat didn't ever cry until the last hour of the car ride home (he did at that point nearly hyperventilate however).

Chicago has so much to offer- and I think that we got a piece of everything. After the first night I could have gone home happy. We got Chicago deep dish pizza and saw WICKED (I wore my green coat for the occasion)!! I am the last of us (family) to see it (the least loved as well) but the wait made it all the better! It really was AMAZING. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. The talent of elphaba was unreal. This woman had one of the best voices I've ever heard. I'm still listening to the music (as you can all hear). The pizza was equally as astounding. Pizza is my favorite food anyway- and this just cemented the preference. Chicago deep dish spinach and cheese stuffed pizza- TO DIE FOR delicious.

I'll continue with the rest of our adventures later tonight after the house is clean and the rugrat is rested!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

He didn't cry the whole time? Please, please tell me where you got him.

Cynthia said...

Ah, I am sad I missed Wicked. I have heard so many good things about that play. As far as the pizza goes, I am glad you liked the deep dish. I, personally, did not like Chicago deep dish. The crust is too thin, and then they load it with cheese and sauce. I love LOTs of crust. Steve and I ended up giving our leftovers to a homeless man in Chicago, but I don't think he was that excited to get them.

Lyndsay said...

oh i LOVE that you wore your green coat. I [heart] Wicked! I could listen to the music all day! Also, if you have a specific recommendation for deep dish pizza, I'd like it. I keep missing that side of Chicago!
I like the sound of the Millers on vacation with a full crew of nannies, etc.

Kent and Leisy said...

jess- He's a good baby when out in public or in front of non family members. Don't worry- lately he's been so dang bad at home! I think he takes after me :)

cyndi- I can't believe you didn't like the pizza! I was however surprised about the crust. It was my least favorite part of the dish (although still tasty).

lyndsay- we tried out Giordano's. They have a quite a few locations around the city- just make sure you eat it hot! oh, and we've got to go to Wicked when it comes to Toledo!!

Linz said...

Wooohooo! What a fun trip!! I can't wait to read more!

Rachael said...

yummy pizza!! and fun to see wicked! I've heard it's great. and zeb didn't fuss! you are a lucky, lucky mom!

Wanamakers said...

Sounds like a ton of fun! I'm hungry just reading about the pizza and Wicked is amazing, we went to see it here in Boston for our anniversary! I love the coat too.

Michelle said...

Wow. What a spectacular get away! WICKED?!? You are so lucky. Two of my piano students actually flew out to Chicago over the weekend to see it. How far away from Chicage are you (time wise)?

What fun pictures. How did Kent's tests go?

yaya said...

OK Leisy, now you're talking a great time! Chicago, my home town! Of course Giordano's is great. I knew when you described the flavor because that's my fave too. Gino's is awesome too. There's a Giordano's about a block from my Mom's. I would love to see Wicked and will one of these days. I'm heading to Chicago next week for a wedding. Anytime you need a place to stay, Mom's is always open!

Cynthia said...

Wicked is coming to Toledo? I HAVE to see it!!!

LauraJ said...

Sounds like a fun trip - what more could you need besides Wicked and pizza? Sounds just about perfect!

Anonymous said...

Wicked in Toledo?! When and Where? Need More Info!