Wednesday, April 23, 2008

day 2

Good fortune seems to follow me wherever I go. I'll attribute it to the positive energy I emit into the universe :) The powers of fate always seem to give back and this trip was no exception. My mom has the same luck- maybe it's genetic.

On day 2, we went to the famous Chicago Field Museum of Natural History and I was in heaven! If I only I could have taken my Biology students to this place. It was incredible. Even better than the great exhibits was the price. Tickets run 14.00- kinda pricey. We have a Coyote Point Museum pass that gets us into many museums across the country for free, but I didn't think this museum was one of the participants. I pulled out my card to see if it would at least get us a reduced rate and the guy let us in FREE. Hip-hip-hooray. That pass has more than paid for itself already!! I can't wait to use it this summer to go to the new Utah Children's museum!

I loved the evolution exhibit (pictured below) and zeb loved the dinosaurs!








We got to see Sue- the largest and most complete T-Rex in the world! Quite impressive. There was also a really cool children's area where Zeb had a blast. He crawled around and touched EVERYTHING. I've included a picture of him studying the fungi and poppies. I really want to go back when he's a little older and can enjoy it more, and when we can go with Kent.

After the museum we went and walked down "Navy Pier" and Zeb loved the water. Chicago really is an amazing city. I think I loved the food most! We ate dinner at this really great place called "Fox and Opel's". We had the greatest sweet potato fries and turkey paninis. I found out that Zeb is obsessed with pickles. He LOVES them- he ate quite a few whole ones on the trip. I also got Kent a fabulous souvenir there- a Bacon-chocolate bar. Kent likes bacon and I love chocolate so I thought it would be a great treat for the two of us! We ate it when I got home and it was DISGUSTING.

10 comments:

Renae said...

Zeb is WAYYY cute! Thanks for posting on our blog. We check in with your's every once in a while! Christian is now a cub scout and has to start a collection. Guess what he's going to collect? BUGS! My kids will never forget you guys! We miss you!

tiffany said...

sounds like tons of fun thanks for sharing

yaya said...

Did you take the ride on the giant ferris wheel at Navy Pier? Great way to get a bird's eye view of my fav city!

brittani c. said...

I love that you got to experience Chicago for the first time. When we were there, I felt like I had to shove everything in and COULDN'T. I couldn't get enough of it, and I begged Andrew that I want to live in a big city. He still resists...I don't get it.
It was too cold to go to the Navy Pier in March, so I'll have to go in my next visit.

Michelle said...

bacon chocolate? hahahahahaha.

I totally love zeb's eye squeezed shut, laughing picture. So adorable.

You DO have good luck quite often. Way to keep the optimism comin' your way. :)

Michelle said...

PS - can we go to the Childrens museum together when you come out? That sounds really fun.

Jana said...

Leisy,
I met one of your mission friends in Wisconsin, Danny Stone. He said you two were good friends. I don't know if I texted and told you, but I am getting married. My fiance is in school with Danny. Anyhow, small world. I hope you and your family are doing well. If you come home in the summer let me know and we can get together. Love Ya!

Rachael said...

we saw Sue in Spokane last fall! how fun is that? and that bacon chocolate bar sounds so nasty.... who would've thought of that?!

Pat and Brent said...

What an awesome place - looks like a great trip. There's one picture of Zeb that looks SOOOOOO much like Kent did! What a cute kid!

Amy and Craig said...

I just have to say "DUH" about the chocolate bar!