Wednesday, November 7, 2007

so the picture doesn't look too tasty....

Thanks to some inspiration from Lindsay next door I tried making Ravioli soup. I really didn't follow a recipe though. I used the regular chicken stock soup base and added until I ran out of things to add.

The picture doesn't look amazingly appetizing because I forgot to take a picture and this is actually "day old soup". Lots of the juices were absorbed by the raviolis and veggies! Kent gave the soup "a surprising ten". I guess he was very hesitant about the raviolis but loved it in the end. It has gotten quite chilly and soup is the best fall/winter meal!

So, here's the recipe (with what I remember!).

1 small yellow squash
2 small zucchinis
1/2 an onion
1-2 cups carrots
1 stalk celery (I hate celery so I only put in the one stalk)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 shredded chicken breast
1 package wheat/spinach/cheese ravioli (really you can use whatever kind you want. I found them in the fridge section of the grocery store near the cheese and there were 2.5 servings in the package)
4-6 cups chicken stock (I just used water with bouillion)
1 small can tomato sauce
salt and pepper
oregano
parsley
basil
garlic

I sauteed the veggies (minus tomatoes) with the garlic in a little bit of evoo while I got the stock and seasonings boiling. I added the veggies and boiled until tender (7-12 min). I then added shredded (cooked) chicken and the tomatoes and tomato sauce. lastly I added the raviolis and boiled for 7 more minutes. It made 4-6 servings.

Serve with bread/rolls!

4 comments:

M- your favorite said...

I love soup at this time of year. When you get up to it you should get Tyler's bread bowl recipe- It is soooo good! You would love it. Then you can make Broccoli and cheese soup. YUMMY! Anyways the soup looks good! I love that you are learning to cook-wait did you already know how to cook-you just don't like it? I don't remember, anyways good job on cooking.

taylor and laney said...

i think the soup looks kind of gross. i saw it and got the dry- heeves. kent gave it a 10 but what do you give it leisy?

Kent and Leisy said...

Leisy gave it an eight. Honestly I gave it a "surprising 10" because I thought it looked disgusting - those creepy green things. I was wrong! It was really really good! Leisy never hated cooking - there just wasn't enough time to cook with all of her crazy jobs.

Pat and Brent said...

OK, You are obviously choosing a healthy alternative. I love soups and wished Brent liked them more than he does. I'm glad Kent enjoys more a variety of food than his dad. It is fun to cook when you have the time.