- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
- 1 small to medium onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound medium or large shell pasta (not extra-large stuffing shells)
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung dry in clean towel
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/4 teaspoon
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 large jar marinara sauce plus 3/4 c chicken stock
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt water and cook pasta 10 minutes.
While pasta water comes to a boil, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and sauté to soften, 5 minutes. Add spinach, pulling it apart and chopping and separating it as you add it to pan. Stir to combine well and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Turn off heat.
Drain undercooked pasta and return it to the hot pot. Add spinach mixture to pot along with ricotta and grated Parm. Stir to combine, adjust salt and pepper then add eggs and stir.
Pour a thin layer of marinara sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. Fill dish with pasta then top with another thin layer of red sauce. Save remaining sauce to pass at table. Bake 30 minutes until bubbly.
Serve casserole directly from casserole dish, passing extra sauce and cheese at the table.