Thursday, June 4, 2009

happenings in our household this week.

After the hype of Monday (being zeb's birthday and all) the rest of our week has just moseyed on by. We've had good days and pretty normal happenings.

Today I got my double jogger rain cover in the mail. I was sick of worrying about the rugrats while running in the rain- and now I'm sure we won't have another rainy day until september- but I am prepared. My blog book is done being processed and should show up within the next week. Oh- and a lot of people have been asking. I did the book at blurb and I backup my blog at bloggled (it's totally free for the manual backup). If you order anything from blurb- MAKE SURE and do a google search for promo/discount codes. I found a ten dollar off code and my 102 page hardcover color book (including shipping) was only 44 dollars. I've decided that the cost of printing off all of those pictures (something like 600 of them!!!) and/or any scrapbooking I would do would cost well over fourty-four dollars so it is very worth it.

Ike continues to roll more and more! and the older he gets, the more people tell me he looks like Zeb. What do you think? Zeb likes him- but doesn't real care much about him. He'll kiss him if I tell him to and smile at him when he walks by, but that's about it. I asked him to hold Ike for this picture and he kept trying to get him off. They both looked kinda bugged.
For playgroup this week we played soccer. Too bad the kids were more interested in the drains than anything else. They sat and yelled "Hello down there!"and giggled at their echoes for an eternity.

and I tried a Thai food recipe for the first time EVER this week. Maybe it's actually Indian food. I don't know. It had "thai" coconut milk- but also curry. All I know is that it was "ethnic". I'm sure this (or something similar) is a staple in many of your homes. This recipe was SOOOOOOOOO easy and very tasty so I wanted to add it to my recipe collection. My modifications are in white. This one also came from the sister's cafe.
1 Tb canola oil (I used NONE. I just did nonfat cooking spray.)
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized strips or chunks
2 tsp curry powder
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (I hate spicy so the jalapeno was OUT. Instead I put in a few dashes of red pepper flakes)
3 c frozen cut green beans (we did PEAS instead and they were sooooo delicous)
1 14 oz can lite coconut milk, divided
3/4 c peanut butter (I did just under 1/2 cup and it was still VERY peanut buttery)
2 Tb soy sauce
1/4 c snipped fresh cilantro (none)
3 c hot cooked jasmine rice or Thai noodles (we did BROWN rice)

1. In a large skillet heat oil over med-high heat. In a med bowl toss chicken with curry powder and jalapeno. Add to skillet; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Carefully add beans and 3/4 c coconut milk. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl stir together 1 c coconut milk (remaining amount), peanut butter, and soy sauce. Add to skillet. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 Tb of the cilantro. Serve chicken mixture over rice or noodles and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
**Make sure you use LITE coconut milk - otherwise it's a little to oily.

6 comments:

Cynthia said...

zeb and ike do look so much alike. It is so obvious they are brothers!
BTW, today I got my free beef hotdog and free twix bar at the grocery store. Thanks for sharing your good deals!

Megan said...

Oh how wonderful to be entertained so easily,too bad there wasn't much soccer. We'll have to try that recipe, we cook a lot of curry.

yaya said...

I think the boys look just alike! So cute...and your recipe sure looks interesting and good but I have to laugh at all the alterations...you know how to make something your very own style!

Steve and Hailey said...

I'll have to try that recipe. Steve and I love thai food and that looks nice and cost effective. I told him that now that we have two babes and no more extra income we have to have breakfast for dinner at least once a week. :) He totally doesn't mind, he's actually even open to making dinner. Hooray!

Good idea about the blog book. I've been wanting to look into that.

dockters said...

Leisy, you are amazing at altering recipes! This one sounds good. I'm not a fan of super spicy either, so I'll have to try your take on this one!!

Rachael said...

that recipe looks yummy! I'll have to try it. But the drain? NOT SO YUMMY!! Loved that picture, but it makes me want to get their cute faces off the nasty drain!