Tuesday, June 9, 2009

here's the deal

So, kent and I had heard a lot about those betty crocker warm delight cake things and decided to try them out awhile back. We had gotten rave reviews from quite a few trustworthy sources as to their deliciousness. Unfortunately neither kent nor I were impressed- at all. Not to mention the price- OUTRAGEOUS for such a dinky snack. Oh- and don't get me started on the calorie content.
Last night I was complaining to Kent that I wanted a recipe for something I could make that was sweet and warm and would make just one serving- rather than an entire batch. You know- like a recipe for three cookies or just a few brownies.
This morning as I was checking all of my favorite sweet deal and freebie sites- I stumbled upon this little trick/recipe. I'm sure I'm about the last person on earth to figure it out- but I thought I'd share anyway.
In general- I'm not lover of cake. I do, however, love strawberry shortcake. You can make your own in less than TWO minutes.
you take 1/2 cup of cake mix (it totally expands and this portion ends up being quite large) and 1/3 cup water. You mix it together with a fork until kind of smooth and stick it in the microwave for ninety seconds. You take it out and VOILA. add a dallop of whip cream- sliced strawberries or homemade strawberry jam- and you've got the most delicious little dessert. I may try adding less cake mix next time around and see how it turns out- but I really did love it. It works with ANY cake mix. You could add caramel, hot fudge, or any other great sauce.
I use meijer cake mix (80 cents) and you can get about eight little cakes out of one box! that's TEN CENTS/cake. They've got HALF the calories of the real deal- and I think they are much tastier.

8 comments:

arly said...

That's a good idea. I sometimes mix up a little cake mix with water just to eat the batter...because I love it so much! Also, there's a book I have called "Small Batch Baking" that has a bunch of recipes for making treats for 1 or 2. It's more intense than this, but it has a ton of stuff. Anyway. I love seeing what you're up to. Your boys are so cute!

Michelle said...

Mmmmmmm. I can't wait to try that! In fact ... I've got 2 minutes ... I'll give it a whirl now. Thanks for the idea!

Laney said...

I LOATHE warm delights. For similar reasons as you, but mainly because they don't taste delightful at all. It looks like those trustworthy sources future advice will have a corollary attached from now on.

Taylor

Lyndsay said...

GREAT idea! Sometimes I want a little bit of cake, but if I make an entire batch it goes to waste. Hooray!

Michelle said...

Okay - I had to come back and tell you how much we all LOVED this cake idea!!! We used chocolate cake with buttermilk syrup - and it was fabulous! Me and Marissa shared - and neither of us said one word other than "mmmmmmmmm" the whole time we were eating it. :)

Warm Delights look so tempting and luscious on the commercials. I've never bought one, because I just thought the price wasn't worth it. But - Sheesh - the lil' 10 cent cake I made today TASTED just as luscious as those Warm Delight Commercials MAKE theirs look.

dockters said...

I can't wait to try this!

I wish I could say that when I make an entire batch of cake some goes to waste, like Lyndsay's does. But I, unfortunately, have the opposite problem....I have no self-control!

Unknown said...

I am seriously headed to the cupboard right now.

Amy and Craig said...

I'm skeptical of microwaved cake. I'll have to give it a try.