Tuesday, July 27, 2010

*one in three posts

*There are three separate posts that I just put up today- but really they all belong to the same thought.  I posted them separately so that I could link them separately over on my recipes column.  

Cooking anything this summer has been such a chore for me.I don't know if it's the humidity or the fact that kent's home earlier or just shear laziness- but I don't think I've had dinner ready more than two times this whole summer. We eventually throw something together or just end up with cereal or sandwiches.  I can only imagine how much worse it's going to be once Kent leaves.  I'll really have NO motivation at that point.
This weekend I vowed to get better- and actually made some progress.  I found three wonderful recipes that are all keepers and do overs. 

#1. Symphony cookies. 
My neighbor, Lindsay, made these frequently and shared them often before she moved. I was craving them on Sunday and decided to try and make them myself. I'm not even sure if this is the same recipe- but it's amazing. Perfectly fluffy non flat cookies every time. 
#2 BLT bbq pasta salad
My new favorite summer recipe, for sure. This is from my friend, beth. It's delicious and so easy to make.  Nothing better than a nice cool refreshing salad for dinner in the summer. Plus- it's got plenty of protein so Kent was as happy as I was.
#3 Black bean and sweet corn Quinoa salad
I'm trying to jump on the quinoa bandwagon. ANY SUGGESTIONS?  what do you all make with it?!  This was good and easy and pretty darn healthy- but I need more options for my giant bag of quinoa.

#1. Symphony cookies.
 
1 C. Butter
3/4 C. Brown Sugar
1 Small box of instant vanilla pudding (or chocolate)
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Large Symphony Bar (with toffee bits),  I used chocloate nuggets of the same type.

Cream butter, sugar, pudding mix, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until creamy. Combine flour and baking soda. Add to butter mixture, stirring until combined. Stir in chopped chocolate. Drop by spoonful on ungreased cookie sheet. I used a plastic 1 tbsp measuring spoon to shape them nicely.  Bake at 375º for 9-10 minutes. Cool on rack.

7 comments:

arly said...

In addition to quinoa-y recipes, I use quinoa anywhere I would use rice. You can mix it with steel cut oats and other whole grains and boil for a fab hot cereal. (Maybe not the best in summer.) You can search "quinoa salad" on food network website and find tons of stuff. Here's one I've made a few times and love. I add other veggies I like and mix the avocado right in.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aztecan-quinoa-salad-recipe/index.html
Yumzoid.

yaya said...

All the recipes look great Leisy! I've made the cookies before and it's the pudding that makes them soooo good...I love the salad one and I'm going to try it out. Thanks!

Cynthia said...

so you brought these cookies last night to book club! They were sooo good.

Erin said...

All three of these recipes sound SO good! I have never purchased quinoa, but I think I'm going to have to try it very soon.

dockters said...

Symphony cookies are the absolute best!! I'm going to have to give your recipe a try though..it's quite different than mine!

Michelle said...

Yum!! I've missed your recipes lately. So 3 in one day is AWESOME! I can't wait to make the Symphony cookies!

Ty-n-I watch Melissa D'Arabian on Food Network - and she has done a couple recipes with quinoa. They looked and sounded fabulous. One was quite similar to the one you made.

LOVE Zeb's blue hair! haha. The fair looked really fun. Good memories.

Jessica Walser said...

These cookies have changed my life. I have been the laughing stock of my family for my inability to bake a presentable cookie. I get comments like, "well, at least they TASTE pretty good," or "well, did you follow a recipe?" or, "these aren't suppose to be flat like this, right?"
But I made these cookies last night. It was one of my proudest moments. Now i am torn between giving some to everyone I know, or keeping them all to myself because they are so delicious and beautiful. So thank you Leisy Miller, thank you.