Tuesday, November 17, 2009

thanks for the recipe!

For some reason I have had the hardest time cooking lately.  I feel like I go through cycles.  Sometimes I love to cook and I make great meals and try all sorts of new recipes. Lately I've fallen into a rut. I've lost my groove.  I just don't feel like making dinner or coming up with anything new.
I know it's time to get cooking though- because even five buck pizza from little ceasar's is getting old.  Luckily the weather is chilly and I love soups.  They are easy to make- warm me up- and usually can be made with ingredients I already have. 

I got this recipe from my friend, brittani's, blog and I had to post it so I could add it to my list of blog recipe favorites (lower left column on this blog page). I have always LOVED chicken chili- and this recipe is SO easy and SO insanely delicious- that I am disappointed I haven't been making it for years. Thank you, Brittani!!

I, as always, made some "leisy" changes so I'll include both versions.

White Chicken Chili
  • 1 lb. chicken, cooked and diced
  • 1 med. white onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 2 freshly pressed cloves)
  • 2 cans of Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup (reduced fat totally works)
  • 1 can chopped green chilies (didn't use them)
  • 1 can Mexicorn ( I used frozen regular corn)
  • 1 cup sour cream (1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream or evaporated milk (I used extra chicken broth instead- you could do milk I'm sure.)
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (NO WAY!! I totally left this out!)
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cook onions and garlic with a little bit of broth or water over the stove until soft. Put all ingredients except the sr. cream and whipping cream into a pot or crock pot. Simmer until heated through.  Add final ingredients.

  Kent added red pepper to his separate bowl and I enjoyed mine nice and sweet without any kick.

3 comments:

brittani c. said...

Yay! I'm glad that this recipe replaces Little Caesar's once in awhile. :)

boysmum2 said...

sounds yum

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

I will try it, but definitely add the green chilies. They are not hot and give a nice flavor. Thanks!