Sunday, November 29, 2009

blacky black friday.

I went to bed thursday night at ten-thirty so that I could get started nice and early for my day of deals.  I know I've mentioned this before- but I LOVE meijer. 


This place is wonderful. It's like a happier, cleaner, and friendlier Walmart. Prices can be a little higher- but when you shop their sales and use coupons, the prices can't be beat. All of my major "needs" this black friday were here.  They are open 24 hours and are just a mile from our house so it couldn't have been more convenient. I went over at three and grabbed my spot in the I-touch line.  Kent needs it for school (or so they say) and the deal couldn't be passed up. They were fifty dollars cheaper than anywhere else I'd seen.

I chummed up to the people in line around me so that I could do some multi tasking. Once I had sufficiently befriended my line neighbors I proposed a plan. Since the store was open and many of the good deals were already out on the floor- or being put out periodically- I offered to hold places in line while they looked around, shopped, used the bathroom, etc- if they would do the same for me.  My plan worked like a charm.  By four thirty (we could make our purchases at five) my cart was full of everything I wanted.  I got my I-touch at five, rang up, and was out of there by 5:05.  We got two FREE knife sets, a wonderful external hard drive, and some great stuff for the kiddos.  I love meijer.

I got home and took a shower- and was just about to take a short nap when all the kiddos started to wake up.  we fed and clothed them and then Laney joined me for phase two of the shopping.  We hit up walmart, target, best buy, big lots, and meijer one more time (I'd forgotten to take my coupon that morning) before heading home.  It was a really great morning.  I can't believe the sales that these stores have! and I can't believe how wonderful it is living OUTSIDE of Utah for black friday.  Sure, things are are crazy- but not insane.  You can go to the stores at seven or eight and still see products on the shelves!  I am totally finished Christmas shopping and it feels great. Plus I feel even better that I spent under budget (my camera and kent's I touch were in a separate budget that we'd been saving up for) and came out with forty dollars in giftcards and two free sets of knives!  really, it's like we almost MADE money.

Upon arriving home from shopping, we were met by an unwanted visitor.  The norwalk virus somehow hitched a ride (we drove through the Norwalk, OH, twice on our jaunt to and from ashland) and had infected us.  Kent was throwing up and others were exhibiting unpleasant symptoms.  We (kent, zeb, and Ike and myself) took a long three hour nap while laney, taylor, and Henry went downtown to check out the Imagination Station.  Good thing they snuck in some fun before the virus got them.

The plan for the evening was to head to the fallen timbers mall to check out the reindeer, see santa, and get free twenty dollar giftcards.  Henry and Taylor had to leave early due to some non stop vomiting but the rest of us enjoyed getting our free money and starting off the Christmas Holiday.   I think standing in lines and meeting strange people is one of my favorite parts about Christmas!!


 We spent our last night with laney and taylor eating pizza and watching a movie. It was so much fun to have family here for the holidays.  Too bad we gave them the throw-ups while they were here!  Laney ended up sick on the ride home and taylor started once they reached buffalo.  Sorry, guys.  I think I am the only one that remained totally unscathed. good thing it was a quick little bug.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you had a good black friday. I have vowed to never go again. It just wasn't worth it this time around.

Laney said...

When Taylor puked, it was very quiet...which leads me to ask, why am I so loud when I throw up? Why are there always screeching eels? Are any other people loud thrower uppers?

Michelle said...

How can vomiting NOT be loud?!? haha. I am JOLTED awake when my kids vomit (and, of course - it ALWAYS happens at 3 in the morning). :) Sorry about the flu bug, guys! That's just miserable city!

Anywho ... I am way impressed with your fabulous deal finding and money saving ... in efficient time as well. I'm really not sure if the money I save on Black Friday is worth the time I have to put into waiting in line and fighting the madness of the crowds. But - it IS a good feeling to be done. (mostly done, that is) heehee.

yaya said...

If you take Rt. 20 to Rt. 4 which takes you to the turnpike you bypass Norwalk...just a suggestion! Sorry you all got ill but what great deals you scored. No one here fell ill so it wasn't my cooking! Now you can relax and enjoy the holiday while the rest of us go crazy shopping!

Pat and Brent said...

Wow Leisy - you got some good deals. You need to put on a seminar for us. I'm glad you didn't get the full on flu since you're still recovering from surgery! And speaking of noisy vomiter's - no one can top Brent on that score. He definately does not keep it a secret!