Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Zucchini soupy.

I had some pre-blended frozen zucchini in my freezer from ages ago that was screaming to be used so I found this recipe from the sister's cafe last night. I made some adjustments to the recipe (added potatoes and carrots for better texture and more "umph"). It was pretty good. The bacon and cheese make the recipe- but you don't have too add so much that it becomes unhealthy. And turkey bacon tasted great in it. I also ended up adding the milk to a roux (1tbsmelted butter/1tbsflour mixture -like the beginnings of gravy) to thicken the soup slightly.
1 small/medium onion finely chopped
1 tbs butter
garlic
2-3 cups sliced zucchini
2 cups chicken broth
1-2 cooked potatoes cut into baby squares (it's okay if they mash up a bit)
1 cup chopped carrots
salt/pepper
1/2 cup half and half (I used MILK.)
grated cheese
crumbled turkey bacon

In a large saucepan cook onions/garlic in melted butter until tender. Add sliced zucchini and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender (about 15 min.) Add salt and pepper. Cool slightly. Pour mixture into blender and puree it. Since mine was already pureed I just heated it up-added my cooked carrots and potatoes and then added the milk. Return to saucepan and reheat- don't get too hot or the milk/cream may separate. Garnish with grated cheese, sour cream, and bacon bits.

3 comments:

taylor and laney said...

do you think it would be good with butternut squash?

Kent and Leisy said...

probably- but I've only heard bad things about people trying to make their own butternut squash soup.

Michelle said...

That looks quite delish and refreshing. Sounds like an awesome Summer meal! Thanks for the recipe.