Wednesday, November 7, 2007

tonight on the news!

Kent and I were yelling at the television! I cannot believe that we have come to the point where we blame others for EVERYTHING. What ever happened to agency and personal accountability? The segment was on the number of fast food restaurants in America. There is one for every 1500 Americans and it is causing obesity. Oh gag. In South LA there is apparently some major problem because so many fast food restaurants are opening! Some registered dietitian stated that these restaurants are "making healthy living difficult" and "if we show people all of these restaurants they will believe it is all they are entitled to eat." Kent and I found this ridiculous! I'm sure the employees are going out and dragging people into their restaurants kicking and screaming and then shoving french fries and hamburgers down their throats! How can she state that they are making it difficult to live healthily? These restaurants wouldn't be opening if we weren't going into them!! I certainly hope that we aren't stupidifying ourselves so much that just because we see lots of fast food we think that it is all that we can eat. South LA wants to enact ordinances called "healthy zoning ordinances" that put a moratorium on fast food restaurants. I only hope that we don't have to turn to the government to parent what we eat. My goodness people. We are fattening ourselves up - not the restaurants!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It is reassuring to know that my obesity is the fault of the fast food restaurants that I frequent and the the government that does nothing to regulate them.

How dare they do this to me! Shame on all of them!

Erin said...

I haven't been to a McDonald's in five years (or any other fast food restaurant besides an occasional Arby's roast beef sandwich), and if I never step food in one again it will still be too soon! It's all on how people look at it.

Pat and Brent said...

Did you know that Utah has one of the highest percentages of obese people in the nation? And aren't Mormons taught agency and accountability from the cradle? How can people be so stupid? Are we going to let government regulate everything in our lives? It is appalling!

Michelle said...

Does Cafe Rio count as fast food? ;)

Zak said...

.... I eat burgers quite a bit... I love them. I should stop, though. Its totally their fault for being there. I can't help it. Dang you Carls Jr for having such delicious burgers!!! Why can't you just leave me in peace??? Your smiling star is a ray of hope and love until after your burger has prostituted itself for the destruction of my athletic abilities!!! WHY? WHHHYYY???

boysmum2 said...

Like you said, are they going out and forcing them to eat the food, I think not.
It always amzes me when someone sues a restaurant for making them fat, like they were forced to eat the food twice a day. Please everyone is so far into making their own choices they don't want to take responsibility when it all goes against them.
Hi, my name is Kathryn and I live in New Zealand, not sure how I found your blog, but am loving catching up with what you are doing in Ohio. Lived in Wapakoneta, Ohio about 20 years ago with my parents and I loved it. I love Ohio is all I can say, shame I am British and live in NZ but hey that is how the world turns.
Z is so cute you are both doing a fab job with him and going to school as well.
Keep going.