Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wife neglect

As the school year winds down all the students anxiously discuss 'summer plans'. The summer after first year is basically the last summer we will have off. Many people have research projects planned, have scheduled to work in community clinics, or have a job lined up. This summer is the last chance to get some experience to get into a good residency program. My summer is going to be a little different than most... I'm abandoning Leisy. Three days after our final exam I'm flying to Alabama for officer training. I'll spend most of the summer in a classroom learning about the Air Force. The link on the upper left is a six minute video of some of the things I'll be doing.

I also applied to go on a medical mission in August to Nicaragua! I just found out I got in and I'm super excited. We will be working in a clinic for underprivileged. We will have a dentist on the team so I may get a chance to pull rotten teeth! Who knows what I will see while I'm there. I hope I get to assist in a delivery or something outrageous like that! I'm sure it will be crazy and a lot of really hard work - It will be so cool. The summer should be packed with some really exciting experiences. Unfortunately I will be leaving Leisy home with the growing rugrat. I'll miss his first birthday and a few milestones, but I think I'll miss Leisy the most.

9 comments:

heidi said...

Oh Leisy.





Kent, that's super cool.


Leisy, my prayers are with you.

Lenny and Amanda said...

Man Kent that it awesome. The beautiful people of Nicaragua could always use some help in that catagory. Call me and I'll let you know what I remember from my mission in Nicaragua.
Lenny

tiffany said...

that is way cool kent im excited for you and on the same note sad for leisy and zeb you will have to let us all know all the fun stuff you got to do and you really should call lenny he is always talking about nicaragua

Rachael said...

Such bittersweet news! Great opportunities for Kent and lonely months for everyone, too. congrats! When do you leave? Leisy, are you going to head to utah for awhile? or stay in Ohio? Good luck either way!!

Kent and Leisy said...

rachael- I'll be here (toledo) for the first two and a half weeks- then I'll head out to utah. Kent will join us there and we'll head back here mid-july. I'll stay here while he's in Nicauragua- but my family is headed out this way to move Laney and taylor out to buffalo during that time so I won't be too lonely. All in all it's working out pretty nicely (although I'd rather not have kent gone at all) and I won't be alone for very long.

M- your favorite said...

Kent I am so excited for you- you have been wanted to do the medical mission thing for a while. So Yeah! you got in! Wow- are we going to see you this summer? I sure hope so. Sure do miss you. Can't wait to see the little man and you guys! I am so happy for you kent! All your dreams are coming true! :)

Pat and Brent said...

Kent, we'll all miss you this summer. I'm so excited to see Leisy and Zebby! Hope you'll have some time for us while you're here. I'm really looking forward to seeing you all!
I'm sure it will be bittersweet for Kent. He doesn't do well without Leisy, but I know he'll have a great experience. It's great that you'll have Laney a bit closer - can't wait to see her new baby, too.

Breanne said...

Is Kent in the Air Force??? Is that how he's doing Medical School?? Just wondering.

And help on the ant problem: I read that using good ol' Windex kills them. It takes a bit, but it works!!!

Anonymous said...

I applied for the Air Force scholarship after I got accepted to med school - they are paying for everything: tuition, housing, books and our living expenses! In return I will be a doctor on a base for four years. We hope to get the chance to go over seas during that time! It would be fabulous to live in Italy, Germany or the Azores!