Thursday, April 24, 2008

our last day

Our last day in Chicago was one of our most eventful and luck filled. We started off the day by piling onto the bus to go shopping downtown! We strolled the magnificent mile and could have stayed all day. We didn't even get to a small fraction of the stores! I really want to go back and go to the ghiradelli ice cream shop. There was way too much to see and the weather could NOT have been more perfect. Rain was forecasted for everyday that we were there- but the only times we got rained on was late in the evenings while we were headed back to the hotel!

We were with skyline high school (my neighbor's sister is in the choir) but wanted to shop longer while they headed early to the Cubs game, so we decided we'd take the "L"/subway to Wrigley Field. The L is NOT stroller friendly. We had to pick up our strollers and carry them down all the dingy stairs and down the dank train corridors. I think that the L man felt bad for us (perhaps we looked despondent and motherly?!) and he told us we didn't have to pay for our ride!! The trains were all jammed with Cubs fans so we had to wait awhile but eventually got on one.

Once we got to the game we searched for tickets to scalp. The game had been sold out and we were going to try to get them there. Apparently Cubs tickets are a hot commodity. The cheapest tickets we could find were thirty dollars a piece (we needed tickets for the two of us AND our rugrats) so we quickly succumbed to the news that we were not going to be going inside the world famous Wrigley Field. We wandered around the outside of Wrigley field (apparently looking more despondent and motherly than ever) and some man approached us with four tickets that he just wanted to GIVE us at NO charge! FREE. ZIPPO. ZILCH! We were beyond ecstatic. We grabbed the tickets and scurried in! The tickets ended up being just a few rows from Lindsay's family!! out of the 41,000 other seats in wrigley field- we got the tickets next to her mom and sis!!! it was outrageous and wonderful.
We enjoyed some great hot-dogs and a near blowout game! The cubs pummeled the pirates 13-1. I had never been to a Major League Baseball game. It was CRAZY and so much fun. If you look closely at the seating behind me in the above picture you can see people sitting on the roofs of buildings and house surrounding the stadium! People sell tickets from their roofs!!! Zeb loved the game- but was getting pretty pooped. We took the L back to our hotel and little Z crashed as soon as we exited the riotous stadium.

Once at the hotel we went swimming to tire the kids out for the ride home. Zeb used his new walmart special floaty (only three bucks!) and loved the swimming to death. We only had one near drowing! A little girl in the pool with us flipped him over and he went head first over the edge of the floaty. He came up sputtering but never cried :)

The ride home wasn't bad at all (only four hours) minus the last thirty minutes (as aforementioned in "day one's" post). Chicago is definitely a future vacation destination.

12 comments:

Pat and Brent said...

That is so awesome! I am GREEN with envy; it's something I've always dreamed of. (Brent)

You do have amazing good fortune. What a great trip. Looks like Zeb did very well for you.

taylor and laney said...

i can't believe the free ticket thing. did zeb actually eat some of the hotdog?

kenna said...

Looks like fun.

Oh and, nice try with the 'Mormon Rachael Ray' label. I don't have a kid and I swear a lot, so I'm exempt.

Susanna said...

I can't believe he just gave you free tickets!!!! That is so awesome. Everyone says Chicago is one of the "must visits"- that's great you got to go. You need to take advantage of all these opportunities while you just have one little guy. Once #2 comes it's nigh to impossible to do outings like that(lucky for me, I got #1 and #2 at the same time), so I say GO FOR IT!!!!!!!

Linz said...

Oh. My. Goodness!!! You are the luckiest person ever!!! Free museums, baseball, AND subway!! That is sooooooooo awesome!

I really want to go to Chicago now!!

Amy and Craig said...

What an amazing trip! More great stories for you! If we ever move back up to Ohio (like in 2 years)it'll be fun to go to chicago together. Craig'll actually be there next weekend for his cousin's wedding. Craig's mom (as you probably know) grew up in Chicago and all her family is still there. It's fun. My roomies from BYU both live there with their families too.

Kent and Leisy said...

laney- his favorite food is hot dogs. He'll eat two at a sitting.

tiffany said...

lucky you i went to a padres game once it was fun

yaya said...

Ok, this confirms it: Chicagoians are the nicest, friendliest, (cutest according to my hubby) people ever. They also have cute, smart, etc. kids! I used to go to wrigley field when I was young. A bunch of us (at age 12 or so) would just get on the bus and go and take the train home. ALONE. I never would let my kids do that. I'm so glad you had fun! Bytheway, Zeb is so cute I wish I could claim him as a grandchild!

Joseph said...

I thought you didn't like pink, and you are wearing a pink hoodie in several of your pictures. I guess people can change . . .

tiffanie said...

I love Chicago! I am so jealous that you get to live so close, but I am glad that you had a good time. It is the best city ever!

Kent and Leisy said...

JMC- it is CORAL- NOT pink.