Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Kirtland






















I would strongly encourage everyone to go to Kirtland on a weekday in the winter! We were the only ones there and got EVERYTHING to ourselves. Compared to our tour of Nauvoo this past summer I was in HEAVEN. First off, we didn't have to melt in the terrible heat. Secondly, it was so calm. I posted the picture of us watching the movie before we saw the sites. It was just the four of us. Really, nobody else was there.
Thirdly, the scenery was wonderful. The snowstorm that hit Ohio last week dumped about 15 inches at all of the sites and they were beautiful! -although we are squinting in all of our pictures because the snow was so blinding.
Historic Kirtland was my favorite place. Having the "school of the prophets" room all to ourselves was quite the treat. Zeb got pretty excited there too! It was definitely his favorite spot. I loved the movie and visiting the rooms where so many revelations were received and where the church was really put together and shaped into what it is today. It was a far better experience than I had anticipated.























The Kirtland Temple was just plain great. Because we weren't in a huge group we got to see nearly every nook and cranny of the building. I had no idea that after the saints fled Kirtland the city used the temple as the public high school! 150 kids had to trudge up the insanely steep 66 stairs to get to class on the third floor. The woman from Community of Christ church was so pleasant. They take great care of the temple and I was more than happy to give my two dollars to visit. The spirit is still so strong and the building is miraculous. I loved it.












We promise to take you all there if you come and visit!!!! please :)

19 comments:

kenna said...

I love Kirtland.

I hate snow.

So, why have you abondoned my blog...I am completely and utterly offended...

Leslie said...

I am so jealous. I've wanted to go to Kirtland for a really long time. I'm glad you posted this, so I know when's the best time to go. It sounds amazing.

The Jackson Family said...

What an awesome experience-I want to be there too! Tonight at YW I was talking to Genile Gardner-she just got called as the 2nd Laurel Advisor-I found at she teaches at MV and I asked her if she knew Leisy Miller, and told her she was my sister-in-law. She got way excited and said, Kent is your brother? Anyway she loves you guys and wanted me to say hi!

The Jackson Family said...

Actually I thing her first name Is Diane, not Genile-I just call her Sister Gardner.

Michelle said...

haha, kristy - that was silly.

What a fabulous post. I'm so envious of you M!! I wish we were ALL there together. Kirtland looks and sounds like an incredible place and experience to visit. Great pictures. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Diane Gardner is my favorite teacher of all time!!! She is one of the main reasons I'm in med school. I can't believe she's in your ward. Tell her hello from both of us.

Anonymous said...

You know it. I take out my hostility on your blog.

CSF is clear. I'm going back to work Monday soooo when June comes around looks like we'll actually have to actively 'hang out.' Sorry.

brittani c. said...

Thank you for this posting!!! I'm glad Kirtland is your favorite. I got so annoyed from members who came to the sites and raved about Nauvoo and how much better it was. I wanted to kick them out of my tours for being so offensive, so I had to try really hard to be nice. There's nothing better than being in the Whitney store or in the Kirtland Temple in complete solitude and thinking about the immense importance of the events that occured there.
Enjoy the rest of your spring break!

Erin said...

Looks chilly, but beautiful! How far away is Kirkland from Toledo?

Jason, Kodi, Jake and Tyler said...

I love kirtland! We went out there in August--7 months pregnant. Besides the awful heat, it was amazing. I agree with you on the whole stairs thing. I hated every one of them. We went to a restaurant called RJ's after that--YUM!!
I am jealous that you guys are so close.

Cynthia said...

I went to Kirtland in the winter twice and it is great because you can go through the sights at your own pace. Plus, 2 of the 3 times I have gone, the tour guide was a missionary I knew, so that always makes it extra special.

Molly said...

What a cool experience! It's like going to Disneyland and there are no lines for the rides.

yaya said...

Hi guys, Kathy Starkey here(yaya). I'm glad you loved Kirtland, it's someplace wonderful that we've taken tours of many times. Next tour should be the Johnson farm in Hiram. We now have girl's camp there and share it with a few other Stakes. It's fun to tour the home and really feel the special spirit there. Have fun with your sister this week and I'm glad Zeb liked his bunny. Mayber we'll see you for Easter!

tiffany said...

looks like tons of fun i would love to come if i can crash with you guys i would even babysit zeb

Cristi said...

Hey Leisy! I just noticed that you had visited our blog and commented - fun! Everyone is so connected in this technological age! :) I'll tell Darren and Lisa hi for you! Take care!

Cristi Bastian :)

Breanne said...

We just finished reading the D&C, and it makes me want to go to Kirtland! You are so lucky to live so close to Church History Sites like that!

Pat and Brent said...

What fun. You're really showing Melynda a great time. Hope we can come there sometime. I'm so glad you're all having such a great time!

dockters said...

What a beautiful day in Kirtland!! We need to go back! The temple was closed when we went last year, but it's an amazing place!!

Looks like you guys are keeping busy!!!! Enjoy the last few days of break....see you next week!!!! and enjoy Lion King...can't wait to hear about it!!

boysmum2 said...

What a beautiful old building. I would love to see it one day