Saturday, October 20, 2007

short story made long

Here's a long story that could have been made short, but I am grateful for good honest people and the charmed life that I live, so I'll tell the story anyway.

On our lovely road trip out here to Toledo we were driving through some podunk town in Illinois (it may have been Carthage, I really don't remember) when we hit a bump. My dad was driving the Penske in front of us and apparently hit the same bump. It was one nasty bump in the road. My dad and Daysa said they took the bump so hard that everything in the back of the trunk shifted at the same time with one collosal thud and the "check engine light" popped on. When we hit it we thought we'd dropped the transmission or something. We weren't shifting properly so we pulled over and restarted the car and everything seemed to be working in proper order so we continued on out way.
A little while later (here in Toledo) our car started squealing, only ever so often, when we'd first start it and accelerate, or accelerate after a traffic light. There is NOTHING worse than that pit in your stomach that comes when you hear a strange noise coming from your car. I had one too many of those experiences with the rickety bucket of death (the infamous Dodge Caravan of 1999-2002). I learned it isn't a wise idea to ignore the noise, but I thought since this noise wasn't constant, that I could see if it went away(don't tell my dad I said that). It didn't go away. It, in fact, become less sporadic and more dependable with each car start. I didn't want to take my car somewhere and simply tell them that it was squealing (I abhor looking completley uneducated and helpless) so I did some internet research and luckily stumbled upon a car guy while out with the sister missionaries. I deducted that the problem was a belt, probably the serpentine belt. We just had it replaced 3000 miles back so it was most likely the tensioner associated with the belt.
One large problem was that with Kent so busy I was the one that was going to have to take the car in. Sometimes I act like a child and want Kent to make my appointments for me and do that hard stuff. This morning after the park I unwillingly went to Midas (thanks to a referral from lindsay).
The man at Midas was so nice it was ridiculous. I explained my hypothesis and he told me he'd take a look and let me know. He was back in just over thirty minutes and told me that my motor had fallen out. I think my face went white. Then he started laughing. He said we must have hit something hard enough for the belt to be whacked out of place (the evil Illinois bump I suspect). He readjusted it and sent me on my way, no charge. Plus gave me some "special card" that gets us fifteen dollar oil changes and 10% off any work we need done. Really I was just happy not be taken advantage of. He could have replaced the tensioner and charged me and taken me for the car dunce that I really am.
Moral of the story--go to midas. I even went online to the website and wrote an e-mail thanking them for their help.

2 comments:

tiffany said...

thanks for sharing i love hearing stories like that im a car dunce also

Michelle said...

Wow. That's quite the story. I'm glad you made it long ... I really enjoyed the details. :)

I'm always leary of car fixer-uppers. I'm so happy that there are mechanics out there that are honest and helpful. I guess they'll keep your business now, huh?