Saturday, April 5, 2008

Two wonderful conferences!

This morning I (Kent here) attended the 10th annual medical missions symposium. Students for Medical Missions is a student group here at UT that focuses on medical missions to developing countries. I was always impressed with my Utah doctor, Dr. Bingham, who took time off of work every summer to serve in Africa. We have a few amazing doctors like him who help keep this club functioning. I have been excited to get involved in this group and was recently elected to be an officer in the club next year! (Not a huge accomplishment by any means but I'm hoping it will give me a chance to go on one of these missions. It's harder for first years to go since we basically have no clinical experience).

During the symposium a number of doctors were inducted into the Medical Mission Hall of Fame. They shared experiences and stories from their lives and service to medical missions. The keynote speaker was John Bul Dau. This man is amazing and his story helped me to see that my training as a physician is more of a calling than it is a career. John fled his native country of Sudan during civil war, lived as a refugee in Ethiopia, traveled to Kenya as one of thousands of Lost Boys, and finally was selected to come to the States to be educated. He wrote a memoir, God Grew Tired of Us, which was also made into a movie. The movie was presented after John's first hand account. It was emotionally moving and inspiring! He is working now to set up a medical clinic in Sudan. It would be so amazing to be involved in something like that!

Another great thing about the conference: free breakfast and lunch for Leisy and me!! Leisy was there while Zeb was compliant. He had to go home for a napski, but I really enjoyed being with Leisy so much today! I guess I should have studied, but I came home to listen to general conference. Our church leaders are amazing and it's neat to receive direction and guidance from them. Two amazing conferences - and three more sessions to go!

10 comments:

tiffany said...

that sounds amazing i would love to hear more about those medical missions. i was thinking eairlier today that i wanted to hear more about how school was going for you thanks for this wonderful post. kent you really are an amazing guy i have always looked up to you you will be a wonderful dr.

taylor and laney said...

don't go on a medical mission to sudan! you will get your arms chopped off.

Erin said...

I was really inspired by that same documentary - (how AWESOME you got to hear John speak; the documentary is worth having in your personal collection forever). Maybe we'll see ya in Africa cause Ammon and I will be teaching English there someday!

BradandBecca said...

So are you going to Africa over the summer? Sounds fun if you are. Exciting news about Laney and her husband moving out to Buffalo.

Pat and Brent said...

Kent, you are an amazing person. You're so willing to give of yourself for the betterment of others. I'm very proud of you and hope you can continue to have lots of great experiences.

Michelle said...

Hear, hear - Mom. I love you too, Kent!! We are all so proud of you. Your future patients are very lucky people to get a doc as caring and dedicated as you. Hope you enjoyed conference today! We missed you.

Leslie said...

I was amazed by that documentary as well. That is so neat that you got to hear John speak. It would be awesome to participate in something like that. Go for it Kent!

Mark and April Sullivan said...

So great to catch up on what you're doing. I love that you went to the color festival- I love interesting things like that. I'm so happy Zeb said "MOM" that's so cute! He seems to be talking pretty early.. and nine teeth? Wow! I'm so excited that Laney is moving closer to you! Glad to hear you're doing well.

Emilee said...

I'm glad you both got to go to the symposium. I have unfortunately only ever caught glimpses of it, work as I might on the pre-symposium stuff. It always sounds wonderful. John was especially excited about the speakers they got this year.

Lizzie said...

We own that movie and it is amazing. So powerful.