Friday, August 26, 2011

ah. the joys of being a parent.

gag.  the joys are overrated and often seem to be far and few between.

okay-okay-it really isn't that bad. and there are many joys. tonight we just happened to have a major explosion with rugrat #1. and kent had to go to work right in the midst of it all. I was left to deal with damage control and I'm just plain pooped because Ike has decided that since Kent worked nights this whole past week that he would wake up EVERY night around 2 or 3 wailing for him. And not go back to bed for quite some time.  I'm not complaining- just documenting.

exhibit 1.  here's what I mean by damage control after the breakdown of rugrat #1.  Ike is checking out the destruction.

This has never happened before. Is it normal? or do we have a budding psychopath on our hands?!?! every book off the shelves, every blanket and stuffed animal off the beds.  Pure chaos. He'd been sent to his room by Kent for yelling at us. Apparently he decided to take out his anger on his room. I sentenced him to clean up the books and not leave the room until tomorrow (it was seven pm).  With a little help from me- he did clean up the books. Although he swears he 'can't remember' who made the mess.

and here's exhibit #2. proof that this kiddo isn't sleeping at night.
If only I could fall asleep while standing at the couch.  Or at the kitchen sink.

And one final picture/story to illustrate my stress.  This actually happened last week and was panic inducing.  Kent was working late and Laney and Taylor had arrived earlier in the day. We had put all of the kids to bed at about 7:30 and hadn't heard any noise since about 8.  Taylor went up to check on Henry at about 8:15 and I asked him to look at my kiddos, too.  He was gone for a few minutes and came back down to report that he couldn't find Ike. Seriously- he had checked all of the rooms and couldn't find him. I went up to check out some of his spots and also couldn't find him. I came back down to ask for Laney and Taylor's help searching the other parts of the house.  I wasn't too nervous considering there were three adults in the house and Ike would have had to pass us to get much of anywhere besides out the front door which was deadbolted above his reach. They helped search the basement, garage, cars in the garage, and front room while I continued upstairs.  After about five more minutes I started getting frantic. Our house isn't that big!  I was checking drawers, cupboards, the laundry chute, out windows, in bathtubs, showers, closets, etc.  At this point I was convinced he had been taken or was hanging dead by some cord or was suffocated in some small space.  Taylor decided to go outside and start searching.  After about three more minutes I grabbed my cell phone to call the police.  I had no idea what else to do. He was missing.

 At the same time I was looking for my phone- Kent had pulled up from work. Taylor was already outside and went straight to the car to tell him what was going on.  I got to the door to see if Taylor had any luck outside (phone in hand to call the police) just as Kent was coming in.  My face was completely frantic. totally panicked.  He told me to wait one second and ran upstairs.  Within ten seconds I heard him yell, "I found him!".
There he was.  Hiding in the corner of our closet.  All three adults had searched there already- dumping out laundry baskets-checking drawers.  The lighting is minimal (the flash lights it up more than usual) and he was shoved in that corner pretty tight- with no feet or hands or face showing.  The little rascal.  I guess he'd run in there to hide from Kent earlier in the week so he knew it was his new 'favorite' spot.  I haven't been that scared in a long time. I'm glad that Kent showed up when he did.

Raising kids is really stressful- and it's really hard work.  And sometimes it's pretty monotonous and unrelenting.  Let's just hope it's all worth it in the end :)  I'm glad my parents worked as hard as they did on me!  thanks, mom and dad.  Does it get any easier?!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I couldn't even see him in the closet til I made the picture bigger. What a stinker!

Delaps said...

Wow! Good luck. My heart was beating fast just thinking about having a lost child. It sounds like you need cameras around your house to keep an eye on Ike at all times.

HowellAZ said...

Seriously...I can't imagine having twins! :)
Good thing there are two adults who can tag team - it seems to be the only way to hold on to a bit of sanity sometimes!

Cynthia said...

oh my goodness...Ike definitely has spunk! Sounds like he is enrolling you in Parenting 505 (remember that phrase from a Elder Robbins talk from last general conference?- such an amazing talk.) I think you are up for the challenge Leisy!

Michelle said...

Holy COW!!! That was a really intense post.

That Zebby room destruction reminds me a little of Kent's tantrums. Krystal and her friends sometimes get her room looking like that just by playing. It makes me so furious! Luckily, she's old enough to clean it entirely on her own now, and so it doesn't happen as often anymore. :)

It gets easier. For the most part. :)

I couldn't find Ike in that picture. If you hadn't said he was there, I wouldn't have been able to spot him. Sheesh!! Bless your heart!

yaya said...

I had 4 boys as you know...stinkers each and everyone of them..as you know. The room mess looked like their rooms on a regular basis..no tantrum needed. I had a similar situation with a grandkiddo...called her name and searched everywhere frantic..found her hiding behind a chair with a smelly present for me in her pull ups..in never ends. Thankfully God made little kiddos cute or else we probably would kill them...love Ike asleep at the couch. That's a kodak moment!

Renae said...

That little stinker :). I'm glad he's ok!!

Greta said...

just so you know, both of my boys have dumped everything out of the closet, bookshelf and dresser before so if that means he will grow up to be a psychopath, my boys may be his sidekicks!

Outlandish McCandlish said...

It does pay off, and they do live, well mine are 13 and 17 and I haven't killed them yet. Hang in there remember you were chosen for these children, by them.

boysmum2 said...

holy crap what a mess, glad you got him to clean up, at least, even if he says he doesn't know who made the mess! in his head he knows that you ahve to clean up what you make.
Sometimes I wonder what test we are being sent when you ahve a frantic moment like that. Glad you found him but bet you could have personally strangled him!