Wednesday, October 3, 2012

super duper tasty healthiER fall cookies :) vegan, chocolate chip, pumpkin oatmeal, flax and wheat .

So- I have this gym friend who is a vegan.  Her daughter also plays on Zeb's soccer team- and she brought the most delicious cookie for an after game snack.  It's a VEGAN- FLAXSEED-WHEAT- PUMPKIN OATMEAL cookie.  I LOVED them and the boys gobbled them up, too!!  They aren't 100% great for you- but they've got some great ingredients that my kids don't always eat in other recipes so I'm calling them a healthy success :)

 I got the recipe and I've already made them more than once!!  I've tried a few different versions of the recipe.  The one pictured is the healthiest way.  I'll include both ways I've made them.  I think they are both very tasty.

the dough has a different consistency than your average cookie dough- but it still sticks together well. I did have to press down the dough some to make a flatter cookie,



2 cups flour  ( I tried 50/50 wheat/white once and 75/25 another time.  They 50 wheat were a little denser but I love that chewy texture and the boys didn't notice anything).
1 1/3 cups rolled oats (mine were the quick oats)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt 
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I used pumpkin pie spice and it worked great!)
1 2/3 cups sugar (I did one cup once and 1 and 1/4 c another time.  both were just fine!!)
2/3 cup canola oil
2 Tbsp molasses
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp ground flaxseeds (I used 2)
and I added 1/3 bag of vegan chocolate chips.  Ghiradelli semi sweet are considered vegan.

Preheat oven to 350. 
Mix together flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and spices.
In a separate bowl, mix sugar, oil, molasses, pumpkin, vanilla, and flaxseeds until very well combined. Add dry ingredients to wet in three batches, folding to combine.
Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets and flatten the tops to press into cookie shape. Bake for 14 (yes! FOURTEEN)  minutes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks yummy!

Check out my oatmeal pancake recipe on Pinterest. I'm addicted--I make a big batch and then have pancakes for 2-3 days in a row. If I opened up a B&B this is what I'd serve.

P.S. Please post more pix of the adorable children.

NA

Anonymous said...

If you want to make them healthier you could use unsweetened applesauce instead of the canola oil, and pure maple syrup instead of the sugar.