Tuesday, April 14, 2009

the rest of our easter weekend in MANY pictures!

Not too far from Ashland there's a little town called Millersburg (we had to drive through Friedricksburg to get there) that's full of delicious cheese and lots of Amish! Amish country is absolutely beautiful and the people are so interesting. Driving through their towns and seeing the way they live is really neat. I can't believe that we hadn't been before! I felt a little awkward driving around and staring at them- but they take advantage of the situation as well by selling goods so I didn't feel so bad.
They don't love getting their pictures taken so I took this one through our front windshield as we drove upon the buggy.

The best part of the day was our "tour" of Heini's Cheese Chalet. The Amish supply most of the products used in the cheese- and many of them work there as well.
They make something like 70 types of cheese and you can sample ALL of them. I have never eaten so much cheese in my entire life. I think that my favorite was the pizza cheese! They also had (cream) cheese fudge that was DELICIOUS. I was just a little sick to my stomach that night- but all the tasting was well worth it.
Zeb loved sampling all of the cheeses and really wanted to buy an Amish hat so badly- too bad his parents are way too cheap to spend the eight bucks!













That evening we had a dinner of hot dogs and s'mores in the backyard fire pit! Zeb was in heaven- he absolutely adores hot dogs and marshmallows. And later that night we played some exciting rounds of "euchre"- Ohio's own card game- and ate some more cheese from Heinis.
We have the greatest cousins and family members in the entire world! It was so fun to talk and laugh with Amy and craigo. I sure wish that we could see all of the cousins more often.

On Easter Sunday we went to the Ashland branch and then returned home for one of the most delicious Easter meals I've ever tasted. Kathy is part greek and she made the best greek food! We had Baklava- greek custard- grape leaves- and spanakopita. Oh- and a great big lamb cake. I think that the cake was my favorite part of the dinner! We also had an insanely fun easter egg hunt. The weather was perfect and the eggs had money in them! Zeb slept through the event but I made sure and found some eggs for him. I think he may have gotten enough money to buy a new train :)
I already miss all of the great food and company! It was so nice to have a mini vacation and I wish that it could have lasted longer.

6 comments:

Erin said...

zeb the amish boy. too cute.

M- your favorite said...

Who made that cake? It is awesome! I love zeb in his cute hat. I really want to go to Amish country- so maybe next time I come out that is where we are going. :) I really miss my little Zeb-he is getting bigger and bigger. I love that boy!

Linz said...

I love that cake! How cool! And I am glad you had a great holiday! How fun! I love that picture of Zeb with the marshmallow! So funny!

Craig said...

You didn't get a picture of us cutting the lamb's butt? That's the best part!

Beth said...

cheesy heaven! what a fun trip!!

Outlandish McCandlish said...

You completly lucky dawgz. All my favorite foods. Glad you had a great time.