Friday, December 4, 2009

holiday mugs and turkey leftovers

This little monster is obsessed with the snowman mug.  he wants to drink everything out of it constantly.  he calls it his snowman sip.

And Thanks to some inspiration from cousin Amy and yaya, I made a delicious turkey tetrazzini with the leftovers of our eleven pound turkey.   The name tetrazzini has always thrown me off. I thought it was some complex recipe with obscure ingredients that I was sure to never have. Turns out tetrazzin is oh-so-simple and delicious.  And I'm sure it can quite simply become chicken or tuna or any other kind of tetrazzini.


6-8 oz (about half of a box) Skinny winny fettucine noodles (multigrain!) 
chopped onion and garlic (as much or little as you'd like)
4 tbs butter
4 tbs flour
1.5 cups of chicken broth
1 c milk
1/2 c parm cheese
chopped turkey - 2 cupsish
1 bag peas
breadcrumbs

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
  2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until al dente. Drain, and place in the prepared baking dish.
  3. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until bubbly. Stir in flour. Stire for 1-2 minutes. Mix in chicken broth and milk. Cook and stir until the mixture comes to a boil. Stir in Parmesan cheese, and remove from heat.
  4. Mix mixture and turkey and peas. Add to pasta.  Bake 40 minutes  in the preheated oven, until surface is lightly browned. Add bread crumbs 5-10 minutes before you remove from oven.
Makes an 8 by 8 small glass casserole dish. 

1 comment:

Michelle said...

That Zeb - the way he talks is just my FAVORITE thing ever! He's so fun. I miss him!

The tetrazinni (I can't remember how to spell it) looks really yummy. I don't think I've ever made that before. Sound like something my kids would love. Thanks for the recipe!