Thursday, December 31, 2009

Since we were home for the holidays this year, we decided to finally visit the "lights before christmas" at the zoo.  They really were pretty spectacular! and it was absolutely freezing out. I think it was something like 15 degrees.
 
 It was actually darker than appears in the picture above, but my fancy shmancy camera was trying to let in as much light as possible.  The evening was a lesson in low light photography for me.

 We got to the zoo just as the sun was going down and that lighting was definitely the best for outdoor kiddo pictures.  Poor little Zeb has bad chapped lips and won't let us put anything on them!  We have to do it while he's sleeping or he screams that it hurts.  I'm crazy dry as well. My legs and arms itch CONSTANTLY!! my knuckles and hands are so raw they are almost bleeding in a few spots. any suggestions?!
 
Ike loved the Giant polar bear and the swimming seals.  The viewing tanks are indoors and had all sort of great places to crawl around.  Here's the rugrat trying his best to be a mean and nasty polar bear.
 
We also spent a big chunk of time in the Insect house.  Zeb really liked the insects- but was far more enamored by the huge train set they had going.  He was shouting at every train that went by.  Naming them, calling out facts about them, and just screaming that he liked them. Ike just wanted to get down and run around. 

   Overall our evening was great.  I couldn't feel my fingers (and I even had gloves on) but everybody was happy the entire night.  I am just so so glad that we are all feeling better- especially the kiddos.  Although I am afraid to go out and about near friends because apparently the vomits are being passed around big time here in Toledo!  We had that back at Thanksgiving time and DON'T need it again :)
 
       This is my favorite tree in the Zoo. It's ginormous- Zeb even said so.

12 comments:

yaya said...

Glad you all are feeling better! I've been the sicko one here. But I think I'm improving! Have a very happy New Year!

Erin said...

That tree is amazing! Wow.

My husband bought this new lotion that I SWEAR is heaven sent. Here's the website: http://www.cerave.com/

He keeps getting mad at me because I use it instead of "mine." I love love love it.

Your rugrats are so cute.

Kimberly said...

That is a great pic of you and Zeb! What type of camera did you get? I want a better one too someday...
Love all the Zoo lights!

Michelle said...

That tree is amazing!

What a fun outing. Sure love those cute kiddos.

We swear by Eucerin over here. I really hate putting it on 'cuz it's so thick ... but it only takes one or two nights to notice huge improvements. I just make my kids wear it as many nights as possible through the winter.

Cynthia said...

ok where is the tree in that last picture?!? I have been to this even four years and I don't think I have ever seen it. I have only one more chance to see it.
...and beautiful pictures. I have camera envy;)

Kent and Leisy said...

cyndi- we almost missed it too! We were literally walking out of the zoo and I saw it and made kent run back with me! It's in the back by the big greenhouse- behind the butterfly house by the bronze gorilla statues sort of. We only saw it because we parked on broadway instead of the main entrance! and I think that you should get a nice camera with your tax refund :)

kim- I have the nikon d3000. it's a great camera!

Laney said...

Ike is really cute in all those pictures, must be the coat and boots. Do you rub vaseline all over zeb's face? There is no way that hurts. I really wish you had taken pictures of every tree at the Zoo and posted them on your blog, that way we could feel like we were really there too.

Kent and Leisy said...

laney- he's even convinced the vaseline hurts. he says it makes him nervous. That is what we rub all over him once he's gone to sleep, though. My apologies about not taking more people-less tree pictures. I'll have to remember that for next time. I forgot how much people like those types of pictures.

Mark and April Sullivan said...

I love your new camera!!! Doesn't it make the biggest difference, ever! You're going to want to take it everywhere even though it's big. Great pics, chica!

Cynthia said...

leisy- that is our plan to get a new camera with our tax return. If we get the same brand as you I am going to have to learn from you how to use it!

Molly said...

This will probably sound weird, but it works. I discovered it when Livie was in the NICU and we had to scrub in every hour or so. My hands were cracked and bleeding, so I put some lansinoh breast cream on my knuckles, and it worked wonders.

Bean There...Done That said...

Olive Oil, Olive Oil, Olive Oil!