Monday, May 10, 2010

the campout!

The first thing that Zeb said to me when he walked in the door from the campout was: "there were NO MOMS, mom! Only dads! my dad was there and cohen's dad and matthew's dad and Caden's dad..." and he went on and on and on.  You'd think he was excited about the fact that his mom wasn't there :)
 
 The second bit of information he relayed to me was: "we drove on a grass road mom. It was very dangerous". Apparently they had to drive on grass to get to the campsite and Zeb was mortified. He thought they were going to die for sure and repeatedly told Kent to "Stop the car right now!!". Other than that, I think he loved every second. It was so funny to talk to him. He'd remember little bits and pieces of what they did and he was so excited to tell me every little detail of those strange tidbits.

Kent's story:
The weather was supposed to be awful and many people called to see if the campout was canceled.  Since I was partially in charge of dinner I was planning on going rain or shine.  The weather was surprisingly perfect while we set up camp, ate dinner and got ready for bed.  Zeb played and played.  Their were quite a few boys his age and they ran around together all night.  They explored each and every tent.  Zeb was excited to show all of his friends his "super-duper cool tent".  Zeb was sad that we didn't bring our own chairs, but was quite content to try all the other camp chairs around the fire.

 
 There was a fireside that night close to our campsite.  The weather started changing as the opening prayer was said.  It started to rain and there was lots of thunder and lightning.  Zeb leaned over to me and whispered, "Kent, let's get outta here and go to our tent".  It was sound advice.  As we were making our way to the tent the heavens opened.  We made it back just in time; it started raining HARD and continued all night long.  I tried to distract Zeb from the loud thunder with Diego on my iTouch.  He really wasn't concerned, and told me he was tired and wanted to turn Diego off.  I sat up to organize my stuff and he grabbed my hand and said, "Kent! Don't go out there".  He laid back down, closed his eyes and slept all night!!


Zeb thought our rain guard pole was a fishing rod.  Hmmm... Maybe that's why my sleeping bag was a little wet in the morning. 
 I think the highlight of the campout was the fact that he got his own donuts. He sat and ate them to his heart's content.
 
He came home to mom in one piece and with a favorable impression of camping.  He wasn't the youngest camper there either.  Ike would have had a camping buddy his age had I had the guts to bring both of them.  However, I'm not sure either of them would have made it back in one piece or had a favorable impression of camping if I had taken both of them.  Maybe next year!

10 comments:

yaya said...

What a great adventure...and to brave the stormy weather is awesome! Glad a good time was had by all, but I bet the best thing was being with his Dad! Ashland's campout is coming up soon. Not sure if they will have to go over "dangerous" grass though.

dockters said...

How fun!! Sounds like Zeb loved it and remembered everything!

I'm sad Eric and Sam missed it this year! :(

Steve and Hailey said...

Cute pictures! I love all of them!

Michelle said...

Oh those pictures are adorable!! I sure loved reading about that adventure! I love that Zeb said ... let's get back to the tent! :) so cute and funny. And the dangerous grass is awesome too. Love that kid. I'm so glad you guys had such a great time!

M- your favorite said...

So Cute! Love that kid!

Jessica said...

I was wondering all the campout went, glad everyone had a good time. It's sounds like it's something Zeb will remember forever.

Jill Lau said...

I am so happy Matthew was close to Zeb for some pictures since I forgot to send Glen with our camera. Those boys had so much fun! It is good the rain didn't ruin their camping experience. Matthew is dying to go again.

Pat and Brent said...

Kent, reminds me of our first Father and Sons outting. Great memories. Zeb looks like he is having a great time. Love you and miss you. Love Dad

LauraJ said...

Love the camp-out stories! The kids have loved going with Robert on the campouts, fun memories!

Amy and Craig said...

Way more successful than Taylor's first father and son. he was a pill and cried pretty much the whole time. Glad I wasn't there!!! :>