Monday, May 3, 2010

In honor of getting the A/C fixed and actually being able to handle thinking about the arrival of summer- we had one of my favorite summer dinners.  High quality hot dogs (beef brats), fresh fruit salad, and homemade potato salad. I'm not sure why I love these things so much- because I certainly didn't grow up on them- but they make me so happy when we eat them.

The potato salad is made from scratch- and it's super easy and delish. Oh- and I like to refrigerate mine for an hour at least.  Some people like it warm.
  • 4 reg. (or six red) potatoes
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sweet relish (I reduced this to about 1/8 c)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard ( I reduced this to less than 1 tbs)
  • 1/3 cup (low fat) mayonnaise
  • 2 tbs sour cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes; drain and chop. I peeled mine.
  2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water; peel and chop.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes and eggs. In a small bowl combine sweet relish, garlic, mustard, mayonnaise and salt and pepper. Gently mix together.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I L.O.V.E. homemade potato salad. I'm totally making that tomorrow. Looks so good.

Laney said...

potato salad is sooooo much better when it is homemade.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

More relish, not less. I can't even see any in that picture.

boysmum2 said...

That looks delish, may just have to try it (next summer!)