Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Home at last!!!! with one minor issue that may gross you out.

It is so wonderful to be home. I didn't make it very long without complaining about the humidity- but I am very happy to be here nonetheless. Today on the news they made mention that the last day Toledo's weather was in the nineties was June 9 (I left to Utah June 10) and that today was the first day we'd be back into the nineties since then. There were five weeks of perfectly warm bearable days while we were gone and the humidity and heat showed up just as I did. Grrr. On a positive note- we did fill up today with gas that was less than four dollars a gallon. Plus, the weather is so worth my bed and normalcy for the rugrat. No more worrying about staircases and fingerprints on my mom's windows.

We managed to forget every possible cord we could have in Lehi, including my camera/computer cord- so the rest of the Yellowstone pics will have to wait until Friday (my mom sent everything in a package this morning). We do have a few blog worthy stories here in Toledo already though.

We had one minor/major problem when we got home this morning. I cleaned the house spic and span before we left so that we could come home to a pleasant sight. Unfortunately there was some flooding here while we were gone and it caused some problems. I stole these pics of our apartment complex from a friend here (thanks lindsay). Check out our pool!! Completely full of mud and dirt! I'm sad that I missed the adventure.
There's a little creek (Swan Creek) running right behind our complex and in some of the crazy storms in overran its banks. The water didn't reach our place or car- but it seemed to have caused some sort of water pressure/sewage issue. We came home to find our toilets (remember- I had cleaned them spotless before we left) full of brown nasty residue (poo and whatnot) and FLIES. There were at least twenty flies in our bathrooms- and MAGGOTS. I am NOT JOKING. I could not even think about taking a picture I was so disgusted. I pleaded with Kent to clean them out immediately so that I could go to the bathroom (remember- it is now 3:30 AM). Even after they were clean I dumped ajax all over in them again and could barely use them without freaking out. I felt like the were going to climb on me. I'm still creeped out and we are still eradicating the last few flies. I just have to remind myself that I lived amongst THOUSANDS of cockroaches and mice in Russia- oftentimes in my bed. A few baby flies (maggots) aren't going to hurt me.

13 comments:

Lyndsay said...

I am DYING. That is the worst story EVER!
That said, I realize this next event doesn't compare, but it does involve maggots. When we first moved to Toledo we were delightfully unaware of the effects of humidity and, thus, we set out a can of our grease we'd drained from our hamburger. We left it on the counter, each waiting for the other to finally take it to the garbage.
We waited too long and one day I discovered the maggots and FLIPPED OUT. Erik wasn't home, so I used a rubber glove to pick up the can, threw it in our garbage, then doused the whole thing with bleach.
I still shudder....

Jason & Shannon said...

YUCK!!! I love the story, but YUCK! Last night we had a flying beetle and I freaked out, so Jason had to kill it! Haha. (I'm not a hug bug fan)

Andrea said...

Hi Leisy! I always make sure I clean the house before we leave on trips, so I would have been really mad to come home to poopy, maggoty toilets, too! That's no fun.

Erin said...

Fancy pool. It's now got that Mississippi River touch.

yaya said...

Ok, here's the deal....next time you leave in the summer, leave a key with a very trusted friend and have them come over everyday and flush and bleach the toilets. Hmmm, now that would be a very good and trusted friend. Glad I'm just your adopted YaYa!!

brittani c. said...

Nast-o. I feel bad that you had to come home to that...but welcome back! You handled it better than I would have.

M- your favorite said...

That is terrible!!! Sorry about that. How was the plane ride? Glad you are home safe.

Your so good Kent! That is just SICK!!!

tiffany said...

disgusting!!!!!! and im not found of humidity. however i love love love the vegas dry heat summers

Breanne said...

I bet it's great to be home, but I would freak out too if I came home to that! So Gross!! But those flood pictures are cool!

dockters said...

Yuck! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth!

Julie Sacks said...

Welcome home Leisy, Kent, and Zeb! We all talked about how the humidity would hit just as you came home! Perfect timing huh?! I hope you had a great trip and are enjoying having your hubby home!

Michelle said...

You have GOT to be kidding me! That is so totally disgusting! I would have felt like I needed to sue someone or something. :) EWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Unknown said...

awe hun I am so sorry. My uncle had to go through about the same thing. They had to rip up carpets and everything. His apartment still stinky. I hope Zeb feels better. I know how hard it is when a child get really sick.

Miss ya!