Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On day two of the vacation we actually did some hiking and sight seeing. We stayed in Island Park and decided to head to Mesa Falls (some really amazing falls not actually in Yellowstone) for one morning. It was well worth the excursion- minus the vicious attack of mosquitoes. We took a hike to the lower falls lookout and some of us were a little more susceptible than the rest. I think that Kent was bit at least ten times. Laney, Taylor, Metta, my dad, and Zeb were also attacked. My mom and I were left bite free. The upper right picture is of Metta and Kent doing the "mosquito dance" trying to avert the mosquito bites.

The falls were really amazing- and not very crowded at all. Zeb was so happy to be in the carrier with Kent.Kent's parent's arrived later in the day and we went to into the park to see Old Faithful and some of the Hot Paint Pots. Yellowstone really is an amazing place. We saw Old Faithful erupt twice- and we saw a ginormous Buffalo (American Bison) in the road. I wanted to get out and get a picture- but recently a young boy was gored by one and we were already three feet away IN the car. Being OUT of the car probably wasn't the best idea.

We also had bison meatloaf for dinner at the lodge cafeteria. I was not impressed.

6 comments:

Breanne said...

I love love love Yellowstone! Did you get to see Grand Gyser?? I haven't been in about 7 years, I'm trying to talk Pat into going soon, so we'll see what happens.

Lyndsay said...

I can't decide the very worst thing about the kissing pic--open eyes, an innocent Zeb being subjected to parental kissing, or Leisy's restraint of Kent.
[averting my eyes]

Tanner Mills said...

i like the pic of zebs face in the pic of you guys kissing its like "oh man i hate it when they do this."

Linz said...

Wow! That's a great picture of the rainbow! And the buffalo! I totally want to go there someday!!!

Kent and Leisy said...

I know, I know- really hot picture. It's the only one that I had with just the three of us!!

M- your favorite said...

Glad to see you guys made it home safe. I need to go back to Yellowstone, it's been years!!
Looks like a great LAST trip of your long vacation. A Very needed long vacation, with Kent starting his 2nd year.