Friday, September 12, 2008

another fall favorite


Chewy caramel corn

This one has been one of my favorites since I can remember. It's from my Grandma O- and it is so dang good. Caramel corn always reminds me of grandma's house and Halloween. We made it last night for a movie treat.

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 c br. sugar
1 c karo syrup
1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt the first four ingredients and bring to soft ball candy stage (when dropped in cold water, it will lose some elasticity- but when removed can be formed into an oozyish softball). I just let mine boil (while stirring) for two minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and let sit for five minutes. Pour on top of six quarts (twenty-four cups popped or about 3/4 c kernals).

I halved my recipe and still made plenty!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you meant to say that these remind you of Alta Olsen.

Kent and Leisy said...

I told Kent all about that!! hers weren't ever very good- all hard and nasty. I'm so glad you remember her!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you still enjoy Idaho cooking! Grandma Carol

Unknown said...

Jessica Robin Hardy you make me laugh out loud.

Love you.