Friday, September 5, 2008

I usually blog at night once Zeb has gone to bed and things are wrapping up for the day. Now my nights are filled with lesson prep and tiredness! I may miss a few posts in the next little while until I adjust to my new schedule. Or perhaps I should blog during the day instead of reading while Z naps! I just finished two wonderful books.

4.5 stars

These is my Words
by Nancy Turner. Kent's family had read this book and passed along the recommendation. It was a splendid book. It reminded me a bit of "My Antonia" and "Bless Me Ultima" - only lighter and much easier to get through. It started as a pioneer book and twisted into a western and love story of sorts. It didn't get too cheesy or over the top at all. It was one of those books that makes you happy and sad all at the same time. There are two more books in this series that I've already checked out from the library.



4 stars


The Glass Castle
by Jeannette Walls. Aunt Donna Joy sent this book to me and I loved it. Memoirs are my favorite books to read. It was a sad story of sorts- but had a happy theme throughout. I really don't love depressing books- but this one almost made depressing seem exciting and fun so I really enjoyed it.

8 comments:

Cynthia said...

We did Glass Castle for book club a year a half ago. I enjoyed it. And I just found out "These is my Words" is ready for pick up at the library. Thanks for all your reading suggestions. Keep them coming.

Michelle said...

The "These is My Words" series is so good. I didn't want them to end. I'll probably read them again.

I'm surprised you haven't read "Glass Castle" until now - I thought you recommended that to me. I really enjoyed it too. You put it very well ... depressing - but uplifting all in one. That's good writing. :)

Zeb is so cute! I love his big huge smile on the slide .... LOVE IT!!

Unknown said...

Laura Jaynes also highly recommended These is My Words. She said the second book is even better. I'll try to get it at the library too and we can compare notes.

Lyndsay said...

I read The Glass Castle on an airplane ride home with Erik sitting next to me and he was intrigued by the fact that I was shaking my head and saying "oh....my.....gosh!" I loved it though. I thought it was such an intriguing story.

Bri or Aaron said...

Hey! I commented on a older post..sorry (the one that says "it's a boy"! Anyway, you have such a cute family!! Hopefully we can keep in touch better through blogs!

Steve and Hailey said...

I love the book reviews! Do you think Steve would like the top book? Did you know that Derek is teaching seminary also? Steve thinks this is the greatest injustice in the world! I agree with him. Teaching seminary terrifies me, but I can see you and Derek doing such a great job.

Kenna said...

The Glass Castle made me so angry...mostly at parents that they couldn't suck it up and do what was right for their kids.

Robert Jaynes said...

Laura did love the "Words" series. She couldn't put them down and would keep shouting out "oh, no!" and I would say, "What happened now?! Did the rattlesnake get her baby?" Glad you liked it too! Robert