Friday, February 6, 2009

Apparently I had to be admitted by my doctor before I could start any type of prep to have the baby- unless of course that included HAVING the baby- because I'm sure at that point they would have let me into a room. My doctor was in a surgery and they couldn't get a hold of her- so I had to wait. I guess both OB floor anesthesiologists were also in surgeries and weren't free to give any epidurals. Why would ALL of the floor's anesthesiologists be busy?!? people go to the ob wing to have babies and GET the proper DRUGS to do it. I begged her to get an anesthesiologist from another floor. She said she'd check. They checked me then and I was at a nine- totally effaced.
I did convince the nurse to put me in a room and start my IV and actually begged her to call another OB to admit me. She said she couldn't call but she'd start my IV. At this point I was near death- really.
Did you ever wonder why they compare all pain to having a baby? It's because having a baby is the WORST. I don't care what anybody says. Some people may forget about the pain so it doesn't seem so bad- but I am not one of those people. and I didn't even push out the baby sans epidural!!!
I have NEVER been so miserable in my life. I cried NO tears. With pain that bad- tears don't help. I didn't scream or yell. I just hunched over and squeezed Kent's hands as hard as possible. My contractions were every minute. Between every contraction I would ask the nurse if she'd gotten a hold of my doctor or the anesthesiologist. She was starting to get really bugged. I finally asked her if she thought I'd actually get one and she said no. I almost gave up. It had to have been the most devastating moment of my life. I'm not joking. WHO GOES THROUGH THIS ON PURPOSE?!?
After just a few contractions I told the nurse that I felt like I needed to push. She told me I had progressed too far and was going to have the baby. She told me if I needed to push on the next contraction that I needed to tell her and they'd get a doctor. I totally lied to her. Through the next two contractions I said I didn't need to at all. I know that if you get too far then they won't even give you an epidural- so I lied.
Suddenly- out of the blue- in walked an anesthesiologist from another floor. My doctor had finally called back and admitted me and they'd found some random hospital anesthesiologist. It was the most wonderful moment of my life. I think just seeing him helped my pain subside. The nurse asked if I felt heavy pressure or like I needed to push- I totally lied again. Within five minutes I was the HAPPIEST GIRL in the world. It was AMAZING. They checked me after the epidural and I was totally ready to have the baby. The nurse was super irritated and told me I should have just had the baby. Even if the drugs took away just ONE extra contraction- it was so worth it. Who has babies drug free on purpose?!?!
My doctor finally arrived at this point and said she was going to give me some time to relax and that she'd return. When she came back- I pushed three or four times and out popped Ike. WOW. It was soooooooo easy compared to pushing two and a half hours with zeb!!! It was actually fun this time. The only thing that even remotely hurt was my root canal tooth.

When just the head had popped out- kent laughed and said it had better be a boy because it's head looked just like Zeb. It was so exciting not knowing what we were having!

The placenta came out next! This time it was really bloody. Apparently my uterus stopped contracting and they had to give me some methergine to constrict my blood vessels because I was gushing blood. I guess it's very common with red heads?!

Here I am after delivery. I was so happy. Here's Kent- the happiest dad in the world.









Just after we were wheeled into our hospital room my parents' flight landed in Detroit! Kent went and picked up Zeb from the neighbors (thank you sooooooo much Lindsay!) and my parents arrived a few hours later. Having Ike on the third was perfect. I can only hope that all of my kids have odd day birthdays.

All in all it was one of the craziest days of my life. I still get sick to my stomach thinking that I almost had to have a baby without an epidural. Next time I will do things a little differently. First- I will not stay home to teach seminary. Second- I will not arrive at the hospital early in the morning when all of the s-sections are scheduled. Third- I will just start crying and wailing as soon as I arrive at the hospital so that people realize the seriousness of my situation. Fourth- I will take the week early induction date and postpone my root canals in order to avoid the most terrible pain humanly possible.

21 comments:

dockters said...

I canNOT believe how close you came to not getting an epidural! AHHHH!! That is terrifying! And I canNOT believe how hard it was for them to finally admit you and get your IV started. Reading this has made me decide that I am ALWAYS going to be induced...ALWAYS!

You look so great in these pictures too! You really are amazing...super woman or something!

Katy said...

Wow! Glad that you had a happy ending! Ike is so cute! Very adorable. The horror of contractions will always be engraved in my memory banks too. Glad that epideral got you through!

tiffany said...

i cant belive you lied

Keriann said...

Labor pain is bad, but I just hope you never have a kidney stone, because that pain is way worse.

Congratulations on another boy, and I am glad you were finally able to get that epidural. Ike looks a lot like Zeb.

Unknown said...

That is so nuts. I remember when I got to the hospital with Natalie and they told me I was contracting like hell. I was so scared.

Cynthia said...

Most people don't know how painful labor can be because they have an epidural before the most painful part comes. The most painful part is transition and pushing and you did the transition all by yourself! Ahhh! Good thing you got the epidural for the pushing part and any other contractions that came.
Two other things-
are you wearing jeans immediately after having the baby?!?!
and the Lavija comment has to be Laney accidentally commenting on your account, right?!?

The Ziemers said...

All I can say is I am sooooooo glad I NEVER have to go through that. I LOVE C-Sections! The picture of the placenta is gross! I have never seen my placenta, another plus for c-sections. You are very brave and I am so glad the having the baby part is over. I can't wait to come and see Ike.

Anonymous said...

Contractions really are horrible. They reminded me of when I had appendicitis in Latvija! the pain wasn't in the same place, but it was bad! Anyway- who compares pain anyway- pain is pain! And it hurts. I also hope you never have appendicitis. It hurts.

tiffany said...

i would have lied too i have always said that when i go to the hospital i'll be walking in screaming give me all the drugs i can have now

Unknown said...

Well, I'm the crazy one here, lol. I totally had twins naturally, at home, on purpose...I did HypnoBirthing.

I thought it was really cool.

But I'm glad that you finally got what you wanted out of your nurse/doctors. Ike is so cute!

Brad said...

I am thrilled for you two. He is such a beautiful boy. How proud you must be.

Kent and Leisy said...

April! you are INSANE!! wow. I am very impressed- but I also think that you are NUTS! :)

Pat and Brent said...

Sounds like you were through the worst of it by the time you got the epidural. Anyway, when you get to take home a beautiful, healthy baby, the pain doesn't seem so bad. Congratulations. Better not teach seminary next time - you'll never get your epidural in time.

The Jackson Family said...

Wow Leisy-you seriously had me in tears!!! I can not imagine going through labor without an epideral!!! I had a little circle that didn't take-I'm sure one little circle of pain is nothing compared to the WHOLE THING. I say you had the baby without an epideral! You are one tough woman!

mrs. m said...

Haha! I love that you lied! I would too! There is no way in smell I would have a baby without meds. When I had Trini, half of my body did not get numb with the epidural and it sucked. I can't believe you made it so far without one.

Lenny and Amanda said...

Congratulations. Our Ike is very excited to have a little cousin named Ike also. They were both born on the 3rd. Ours in November and yours in January

Linz said...

Great story! When I had Auri, the SAME thing happened to me - I went too fast right with the docs were all with other patients. I did get an epidural...but it hadn't even taken effect when she came slamming out. but just having it "done" calmed me down a little, so I get totally get that.

Interestingly, the whole thing was so traumatising that when I was getting ready to have Andrew, I prepared myself mentally to not be able to get an epi so much, that by the time I went into labor, I told them not to give me one at all. Honestly - his delivery was so much better. If I ever do it again, I'll do it naturally. I know, I'm crazy.

Good job!

Breanne said...

I think you are crazy to have lied!! Everyone has different birth experiences, and I have had an epidural with both of my kids, but they worked differently.
On my first I felt most of it at the end while pushing. On my second the button wasn't plugged in, so when they broke my water when I was at a 5, I felt everything until I was a 9 or 10! But then I got a good push of drugs and didn't feel a thing for the rest. Definetly transition hurts like heck.
But I still think you're nuts for lying!

boysmum2 said...

Shame you had to lie to get what you wanted, but hey you just about did it all naturally and lived to tell the tale. Well done you. Just goes to show you really didn't need the drugs!

Michelle said...

Yeah. Crying and wailing worked pretty good for me. ;)

I made it to a 6 with Aaron before I got my epidural ... and I was NOT very nice.

I can't EVEN imagine ...

brittani c. said...

You are a GREAT storyteller. I felt like I was there experiencing all the emotions. You're making me a little more nervous the closer I'm getting to my due date. We'll see how my story compares. :)
By the way, did you get the cake on your doorstep last night? It's from Wixie bakery and it's good.