Monday, September 14, 2009

It's been one of those days when I feel like I was busy every moment- but there seems to be zero evidence that I did anything at all.

It's 10:15 and I really should hit the sack. I got up at five this morning and I'm exhausted, but the kitchen sink is full of dishes- I can hear Ike coughing (which means he'll probably wake himself up soon and want to eat anyway)- my seminary lesson is still pretty nonexistent- kent is gone until nine tomorrow morning so I won't be able to fall asleep forever anyway- and the "Real Housewives of Atlanta" is on. Plus- I haven't blogged yet today! Far too many things to keep me up and going.

Rugrat #1 really tried my patience today and I'm trying to figure out how to better work with him on behavior. He really is a wonderful little boy- and even pretty good for the so called "terrible-twos". He's super smart- extremely funny- very sensitive- and he's even starting to be my friend. When I talk to him- he understands- he talks back- and I feel like I'm not just lugging around a non communicative pet. We actually have fun! However- he does NOT care one bit about timeouts anymore. What in heaven's name can I do besides give timeouts? I bagged up all of his trains and hung them on a hook yesterday. Today he didn't get to watch an ounce of tv. This evening I put him on the toilet- with all the lights out- and shut the door. He sat in there jabbering to himself and LAUGHING for FIFTEEN minutes. He's such a little turkey. This kid is completely aware that his actions result in consequences- but those consequences just don't seem to bother him. I guess I'll just keep trying the timeouts and start branching out too see what else works.

Good thing he redeems himself with all sorts of fabulous moments. Tonight for family home evening we were going through the new gospel art book that I picked up in Utah- when Zeb stopped me at this picture. I asked him what was going on in the picture and he actually said- verbatim- "Jesus says: Stop. Peace, be still." We've got a similar picture in his sacrament book that I go over with him on Sundays. I never thought that he was listening that closely until tonight. What a good little rugrat. He also had Kent and I stifling giggles during the prayer. He was trying so hard to keep his eyes closed- but as he was thanking for things- he kept scanning the room with his eyes fluttering open and shut searching for things to list. "thank you for dizzy... and percy... and the t.d. (tv)...etc". He's growing up SO fast.

Here's my little monkey doing one of his favorite things on our runs. Every day when I finish- he jumps out of the stroller- searches for a dry leaf- then dips the stem in the "doggy water" so that he can "color" on the water fountain. I always have to plan in these extra few minutes. If he doesn't get to do it- he gets very crabby.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my goodness. Zeb cracks me up every time I read about him, so thanks for posting today! I can't believe what he said about the picture. He's a walking, talking sponge.

Michelle said...

He is such an incredible lil' guy! You are such a fabulous Mom. It shows!!