Monday, September 21, 2009

lessons in parenting.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for it. I don't have the patience for young children. seriously.

I was searching for some ideas on how to curtail Zeb's current pushing/shoving streak when I found this lovely piece of advice. It made me laugh out loud. and just how did they know that it is my "son" with these problems?!

"Choose durable playmates and understanding parents.

While your son is working on learning gentleness, it can reduce the stress on everyone if you spend most of your time with easy-going, active kids who don’t take being hit too seriously. Spending time with parents who understand young children’s clumsy attempts at being social, can help reduce your stress and sense of ostracism about your child’s behavior"


Looks like I'm going to have to interview all of Zeb's friends and their parents to see just how "durable" the kids are and how "understanding" the parents will be. I also may just be avoiding some people all together.

I'm not super worried about the issue. While unacceptable and inappropriate- Zeb's current communication attempts do seem to be somewhat normal 2 year old behavior. I'd blame it on Kent's absence (this month his schedule in the ER has been waaaay worse than surgery ever was) but I have a feeling he's just Zeb and these phases are going to come regardless of kent's presence or my pleadings. My job is to figure out how to nip them all in the bud far before they become long lasting or permanent.

am I really going to have to go through all of this with every kid? Let's hope it gets easier or I get more patience or something.

10 comments:

dockters said...

Sam is VERY durable, and I consider myself pretty understanding...so you're safe with us!

And if you come across any more amazing advice on this topic, please share...as you and Zeb are definitely not the only ones with these issues!!

Linz said...

HAHA! Durable friends. Nice. Really, just be consistant with him and he'll come through this phase just fine!

Emilee said...

Sometimes it just stinks to be a parent. Especially a semi-single parent during third year.
I think the best test of the understanding of the parents of Zeb's playmates would come if you started shoving them around. You'd see who was "durable" pretty quickly.

taylor and laney said...

i think this is wonderful advice. In fact even when kids aren't bad, it is really annoying to spend time with uptight parents and their kids.

Jodee Luke said...

this is how david and i pick all of our friends. i go up and push the wife and if she's weak well....they get the boot. it's done wonders for our small family.

Michelle said...

hahaha! Well - with the uptight personality I have ... I would definitely say that I would get the boot. :)

Here's why: My kids were never hitters. They were always the recipients.

Marissa would wail and sob and go on and on AND on if any kid hit her at all ... so, usually I would just downplay ... but, then Mom's would do NOTHING when their kids hit her later on ... because "she was just being dramatic." So - my uptight mom would come out.

Aaron would give very little reaction ... if any at all ... when kids hurt him - durable? Well, I would always be the one intervening when he gave me that sad "they're being mean" look. Uptight mom.

Krystal - I don't have to worry about. If someone hits her ... she puts her hands on her hips, stomps her foot and tells people just what she thinks ... including "just go away from me." So, maybe she fits in the "durable" mold.

All kids are different and go through phases. You are always VERY involved and aware of what your kiddos are up to ... so, maybe you'd even be okay around a parent like me ... the booted one. :D

Michelle said...

PS - (as if that weren't a long enough comment) - I had to stare at that bottom pic for a REEEEEEALLY long time to decide if it were Zeb or if Ike just looked less chubby. :) He's a cute one!!

Kent and Leisy said...

Michelle-I think that our kids would (and do) get along just fine. I've learned that I can't prevent every hit- but I am (usually)very good about giving immediate timeouts when he hits friends- making him apologize- and just trying to prevent most hits :) Although being around non hitting kids does make me feel like bad mother- so I may avoid you so that I don't see your amazingly well behaved children :)

Cynthia said...

Don't worry about us- I will just teach Hailey to push back!!
That was hilarious advice and actually quite good.
BTW, I love Ike's haircut right now, so cute!

Cynthia said...

just wanted to let you know about a redbox deal at Meijer. You can rent a dvd for free with the code 9MEJR24. It lasts until 9/24. Steve found it on slickdeals.