Tuesday, September 15, 2009

it's a.....


Funny how much it looks like an early OB ultrasound, huh? Well, It's not a baby- or even a uterus. It's a gall bladder. My gall bladder. And it's chock full of nice large stones. The red circle encompasses the stones. The darker bean shape above is the actual gall bladder wall.

While in Utah- I over indulged myself with fatty foods and lots of treats- and my gall bladder kind of freaked. At first I thought that I just didn't feel good so I decided to run off the stomachache- but after about twenty minutes I could barely walk - let alone run. I finally made it home and just plopped onto my parent's lawn. I called Kent (he was already back in toledo) to get his professional medical (student) opinion and he diagnosed it immediately as a gall bladder issue. The major pain only lasted for about two hours and then tapered off so I wasn't too worried, but as soon as I got home I made an appointment with my doctor here and she ordered an ultrasound.

I guess gall bladder problems are most common in the four "F"s. Female, fertile, forty +, and fat. I'm only going to claim fertile and female- but apparently that's enough. Some people just have gall stones- and there's nothing you can do about the fact that they exist. Mine just happen to occasionally lodge themselves in places they aren't supposed to be and cause me great pain when I'm trying to excrete my bile.

Surgery is a definite possibility and most likely the solution. Things are fine now and I don't eat an especially fatty diet on a regular basis- but pregnancy makes gall bladders angry and since I'm planning on being pregnant a few more times- the tech recommended I get it removed now. We'll see what Dr. McClarren says (she's my WONDERFUL family practice doc) and then move forward.

It's kind of exciting, really. I think I thought myself gall stones. I've always told Kent that I wanted my gall bladder out. I'd really like to at least even up organ # with my sis. It may not be my appendix that's coming out-but at least we'll be even in organ count again. The surgery is still considered "major" - or so they told me- but it's laparoscopic and same dayish. Kent just finished his general surgery rotation and saw/"assisted" in a few cholecystectomies- and says they seems pretty simple (relatively).

or maybe they just made a big mistake and I won't need anything done at all :) I'll just have to wait and see!

14 comments:

Aubri said...

A few months into my pregnancy I was in the ER in extreme pain. Ended up being biliary colic as well. We did everything we could to make it through the pregnancy without having to take the gallbladder out. Even though it was hard we made it and a few months after my daughter was born I had my gallbladder out. It was a cinch. I actually felt so good that I didn't rest and it caught up with me. The biggest issue is sitting to standing to laying cause even though its only a few incisions your stomach will feel it. There's no reason to keep living with them and its super easy and better to take of before another pregnancy. The only time it's really hard is when you have to have it taken out during your pregnancy. My sister had to have hers out while she was pregnant and it took her a long time to recover-like years-because her body was trying to support another life and heal. Then after the baby her body was trying to recover from pregnancy. Go for it-it's easy and you'll feel so much better.

Linz said...

Boo to gall stones!!! I hope everything goes well with getting rid of them!!

LauraJ said...

So sorry to hear about it! After baby #1 was born gall stones hit me hard and when Annie was 6 weeks old I had to have it removed (I was throwing up just about every time I ate). The symptoms were miserable!! Surgery wasn't so bad at all - the only rough part was that I had a 6 week old baby to take care of.

I hope your symptoms stay under control or that you have the surgery and all goes well! Good luck!!

Your kiddos are adorable! We love the updates - Laura

Unknown said...

Maybe you inherited my bad gall bladder genes. I would get them
out! Grandma Carol

Unknown said...

Please have them out so I have an excuse to come out and take care of you (and maybe Fred and Zeb too). Could we do it over Christmas break? That would be convenient for us.

brittani c. said...

What? I had no idea. Thanks for the lesson on gall stones...they sound like an elderly person issue to me (that just says how educated I am in medical issues).

yaya said...

GB surgery is major (all surgeries are!) I've done a cazillion Lap Choles and I know you'll do great if that's the route you'll have to take. It sure looks that way to me. Just don't forget to rest and get help with the kiddos because even if it feels good on the outside, the inside needs time to heal. One of my fav memories of visiting my Grandma was getting the box down from the closet and looking at the gall stones she kept in there! (they don't let pts. take them home anymore...so don't ask!)Call me if you need me!

Renae said...

That's crazy! Better to plan this one, then let it be emergency. Good luck and no more "trying to run it off". :)

boysmum2 said...

Get this sorted whilst you are not having attackes because it will be easier to remove when not inflamed. In NZ you can keep your stones if required which a lot of patients do request. You will need help with the kids after surgery and it will hit you for a little while post surgery. You can keep attacks under bay with your diet, but what is the point when it can all be done so easily by key hole nowadays and then you don't have to worry again, specially if more babies are in the thinking, then get it sorted and all will be fine and no more pain! Have scrubbed to assist in a few hundred of these, happy to fly to the US to help with yours if you pay!

Kent and Leisy said...

mum- we'll see when they want to do it and I'll let you know :)
glad to hear so many people have had the surgeries and been just fine! and yaya- I REALLY want to keep mine- or at least see them! do you think they'd take a picture for me?! maybe my insurance will let me go to ashland for the surgery and you you can sneak them out for me!! too bad I don't live in new zealand where they let you have them, kathryn!!

Michelle said...

Bless your heart, Leisy!! Good luck!

Emilee said...

Gallstones are awful. I remember when my mom was going through that, and for a while, to help stop the pain, we were trying to make everything completely fat-free. Difficult and NOT delicious.

About the baby showers--if you end up throwing one (or several), I found this complete menu--and what I tried was delicious.
http://ovenlove.blogspot.com/2009/03/saturday-fun-julies-baby-shower.html

yaya said...

Check with your hospital to see if you can take them...every place has it's own rules. We would take pics of it for sure!

Laney said...

We're really excited. We hope you get it taken out.