Thursday, October 8, 2009

Half of our park is red and yellow and brown- while the other half is still amazingly green! There are a few spots (like this one) where you'd swear it was April or May by the colors.

Zeb is getting to the point where he begs to get out and run parts of my runs with me. I finally relented a little today and let him cross the bridge on foot. I've got to find something to keep him entertained longer. Right now he just pokes Ike or makes believe that monsters and bats (there are bat houses in the park) are chasing us and that we've got to run "faster and faster mama! monsters are coming!". Yesterday he actually screamed that the bats were going to get in our hair and ears?! We do not watch scary movies or read scary books so I'm not sure where that information came from.

oh, and here's another fall recipe.

Apple Cake

I finally used the last of my apples from our apple picking adventure way back when. A friend made this delectable cake for a church activity a few weeks ago and it was divine. I got the recipe and decided to give it a try. It is so good and beyond easy. I wish you could all taste it. It is so addicting I actually gave it away to my seminary students this morning so that I wouldn't eat it in its entirety today in my boredom.

It darkens a lot - but don't worry- it isn't burnt.

9×13x2 pan – sprayed with Pam

Bake at 350° – 32 minutes

Mix and let stand:
3 cups chopped apples
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or regular)

Mix together:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together and then add to the dry stuff:
2 eggs – slightly beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla

Add:The apples and sugar
1 cup chopped nuts (Optional)

Top with caramel or whipped topping or ice cream

5 comments:

mandi said...

Bless you - I need this recipe! Can't wait to try it.

M- your favorite said...

Zeb has a great imagination. He is so silly!

Erin said...

I love your action pictures. That bridge is so picturesque.

Angie said...

Hi. So, I don't mean to be a blog stalker!! But I got the link for your blog from Jessica Hardy's and I just wanted to say Hi! It looks like things are going great for you two and you have the two cutest little boys. Oh, I should tell you this is Angie Benson from way back in your past lives in Orem. Everytime I think of Kent, I laugh, because I remember when he tried to teach me to speak pig-latin. He could talk so fast that I thought he was amazing. That was in third grade I think. Funny memories. Anyways, Hi! I hope you don't feel like you have to make your blog private just because of me. :) Send me your email and I will invite you to my blog (it is private - probably because of people like me that want to bring up deep dark secrets about my past and post them in the comments section for all to see . . .you know things like speaking pig-latin faster than anyone else in my elementary school. :) angela.tingey@gmail.com

Kristen said...

Zeb sounds like he has an overactive imagination like I do. In fact Matt has pulled the plug on watching any scary movies before bed, if I do then he says I have to watch Care bears afterwards so I don't have nightmares. Now that I'm a mom I'm hoping I'll be able to grow up and not be scared of monsters under the bed anymore! It's gonna be pretty ridiculous if I have to make my kid go into the basement with me cuz I'm to scared to go down there alone! Thanks for documenting your runs, you are going to be my motivator when my six weeks are up and I can go running. We got a jogging stroller and I'm itching to start training to run some races in the future!