Wednesday, September 26, 2007

gloom gloomy gloom


The past few days have been wonderfully gloomy, but ickily humid. its so terrible to wake up to gloom and go outside just to realize its still hot and muggy. it is one of the most disappointing parts of ohio. One of the least disappointing parts ,however, is the random animals that just appear! This morning on our run this is what z and I stumbled upon! I did some research and have deducted that he must be a "WOOD TURTLE or Clemmys inscuipta". Here is its description: "This is a rare turtle. Wood turtles are reddish orange on the neck and limbs. They are the most terrestrial Ohio turtle and good climbers. This species has been known to scale a six-foot chain link fence".
While trying to take the picture he kept hissing at me (kenna, I think he'd kick your turtle's trash). I kept thinking that I should bring him home for awhile but the hissing swayed my decision. Too bad the little rugrat slept through it all! I think that he would have loved the turtle.

5 comments:

Pat and Brent said...

Wow, that's amazing. What a cute little guy. I didn't know turtles hissed. That is kind of freaky.

Linz said...

Awesome! I would love to see one!! Turtles are my favorite!

kenna said...

Yes, turtles hiss. Mine hisses at me daily. I think Dart wouldn't stand a chance! That turtle is much bigger in the shell, and has the land advantage. our turtle is smaller and with webbed feet there is no way he could scale a fence and flee. Although I am thinking about training Dart to be a fighting turtle...

Deneal said...

What a cool friend to find on your jog!

tiffanie said...

Hahaha wow! That is awesome that those turtles can climb. what will they think of next.

I don't think I would take home a hissing turtle either, but it looks like it would have made a way cool pet.