Wednesday, January 30, 2008

book reviews


I finished reading The Devil in the White City. The parts of the book that I read were enthralling. The book is split into two stories (both true) happening simultaneously, one about a serial killer in Chicago and the other about the history of the Chicago World's Fair. I was FAR more interested by the serial killer portion of the book. Maybe I'm slightly morbid. About a third way into the book I just skipped over the world's fair chapters and went straight to the story on Dr. H. H. Holmes. It was a little creepy and I loved it.

I am actually not quite finished with Peter and the Starcatchers, but I thought I'd post on it anyway. I love it. It is YA and makes for an easy quick read. With little Z, young adult novels are really the only type that I can read in a short enough period of time that I don't forget what happened at the beginning of the book. It precedes the traditional Peter Pan story and tells the of how Peter became Peter Pan. It's just a wonderful story and is the first in a series of three. I love when good books have more to follow! I can't wait to go and check the others out.

7 comments:

Lyndsay said...

Did you just find Devil in the White City at the library? I have tried unsuccessfully to get it in the past. I can't wait to read it. It sounds like it's right up my alley.

taylor and laney said...

so we finally posted, we can be friends again.

Molly said...

I want to read Peter and the Starcatchers. Sounds intriguing. Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Kent and Leisy said...

Lyndsay... yeah, I got it at the library, heatherdowns branch. Cyndi is going to borrow it from me, but you are welcome to take it next if you'd like. There was another copy at the library when I checked it out though, it may still be there.

Chris Howell said...

Leisy, I've thought about you for the last couple of days as I've read The Madonnas of Lenningrad by Debra Dean. I really, really liked it and if for no other reason that it involves starving in Russia during the winter I think you would too.

Give it a try!
donna joy

Chris Howell said...

The Devil in the White City is very good and so are that author's other books - Issac's Storm, and what I read of Thunderstruck.

I just thought of two great YA books - Zazoo by Richard Mosher and Deadline by Chris Crutcher

I also liked the memoir The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

and you might get a kick out of The Secret History of Tom Trueheart by Ian Beck. A nice twist on fairy tales.

auntie dj... again

Brittney said...

I've almost read "Peter and the Starcatchers" a few times now, but never really was that interested. You've just changed my mind! Have you heard of Goodreads? It's a site where people can post reviews of different books. You should check it out!