Monday, June 23, 2008

JUST FOUR DAYS LEFT!!


There are only 102 more hours until Kent lands!!! That doesn't really sound like that much at all. The last week of COT doesn't sound too rough- but Kent is worried that they won't be as busy as usual and that he'll get antsy. The end of last week was pretty crazy too. The flight received "off base" and some other privileges so he has ended up being one of the designated drivers. For the most part he's enjoyed being able to get off base and do some fun stuff (malls, swimming, restaurants, etc) but he also told me that he's pretty sure the bar scene is not for him :) They were all taken and "inducted" into the Officer's Club (the elite -for officers only- club on base) and he said his flight commander took him aside and bought him a sprite because he knew that Mormons don't like bars :) He's actually had some really great opportunities to talk to a lot of people about being LDS and he's loved it.

There are all sorts of graduation parties this week as well- all involving inordinate amounts of alcohol. The official end of COT party costs him a whopping twenty-five bucks (maybe I'm cheap- but that sounds like a lot of money to me!!! Kent and I usually don't spend that much on the both of us for an evening out!). That price includes their alcohol for the evening- and they aren't allowed to skip it. Enough of my moaning about the booze- I guess I'm going to have to get used to the fact that the military loves it.

I asked Kent if he's even a little sad that the training is coming to end and he said no. He's ready to be finished and I'm ready to see him. Oh, and I LOVE their "blues". That's what the nicer uniforms are called. I told him that's what he has to wear on the plane home!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

What a remarkable experience Kent has had. I feel so happy for you guys that you'll get to be together again, though. Being apart is way too hard. Tyler and I hopefully will never have to again ... for too long, anyway. :)

Cynthia said...

Yeah!!! Kent is so close to coming home. So glad for you.
That is crazy about the dinner price (it actually isn't outrageous for those who drink alcohol, though). Too bad there isn't a water/ soda option!

Anonymous said...

Hey... funny expressions on some of their faces,huh? Well yea, 25 is not much when alcohol is being considered but I am glad Kent's flight commander was sensitive enough to buy him a Soda :) That was a nice gesture!
Wow.. you even have the hours down to a tee, huh! well I dont blame you!

Amy and Craig said...

If it makes you feel any better about the military, that doesn't sound so different from some of Craig's "business trips". Corporate America isn't all the different. It's always been disappointing to me though(the focus on alcohol and acting stupid).