Wednesday, February 6, 2008

great great movie

I can't help but blog about this movie. I saw it at the library and just had to check it out. Kent and I had seen it previously but thought that it deserved a second viewing. We were not disappointed. It is an independent film starring Elijah Wood and directed by Liev Schreiber and takes place in the Ukraine. Perhaps it appeals to me because of the fact that the majority of the film is in Russian (with English subtitles of course), but Kent loved it as well. It is definitely not a children's movie, but if you are bored and can't figure out which movie to rent I recommend this one! Kent and I sat and giggled through the entire movie. It has very serious themes, but the manner in which the characters behave and speak is hysterical.

10 comments:

Emilee said...

I saw that yesterday at the library, and wondered about it, but it looked strange. Maybe too strange (although I loved "Kitchen Stories"--a Norwegian movie also at the Heatherdowns library). I'll have to look at it again.

Kent and Leisy said...

emily f... I had to delete your comment for security purposes! but thanks for the info :) I will put that knowledge to use immediately.

Molly said...

Does Elijah Wood speak Russian?

Breanne said...

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!! We do blockbuster online, and Pat watches alot of movies. He got this one a few weeks ago! And he is actually able to write a paper on it for his Jewish History Class! So we bought it! :)
I love how the grandson talks! That everything is "premium". I totally agree that this is a wonderful movie!

Michelle said...

Are you serious? When I just saw the title of this post with the pic of the movie, I said outloud, "You have got to be kidding me!" Tyler and I didn't finish it ... and we're not usually that picky.

It was so strange and pointless. We certainly never laughed. :)

Wow. After reading about how much everyone loved it, I'd say maybe we should give it another try ... but ... there is no way.

Do you still love me?

Michelle said...

PS - I LOVED watching Zebby's cute, speedy crawling. His eyes are my favorite. They are so sparkly and inviting. What a cutie!

Cynthia said...

I got to check it out then because Steve knows Russian too. I wonder if it is at the library closest to me.

kenna said...

Good song choice That Macbook Air is MINE.

Kent and Leisy said...

cyndi... I actually checked it out from the maumee branch and returned it yesterday so it should be back by now!

michelle... the first five minutes were slow, but after you get through that, we LOVED it. give it another try!!!

molly and charles.. no he doesn't speak russian. He's the one part of the movie that's in english. I think that you guys would love it though!

Anonymous said...

The movie seems slow at first and the point of the movie unfolds throughout. In the end it has an excellent message and the humor is fantastic. I can only imagine some of the errors I made in Portugese that made the Brazilians chuckle.