Thursday, February 28, 2008

obama rally














On the news last night I noticed that there was going to be an Obama rally at the Downtown library today! and there was to be a distinguished guest-- Caroline Kennedy. They posted a number to call and make reservations so I called (they only let in 200 people) and got a spot. With all of these political visitors to the glass city and the integral role we'll be playing in the democratic primaries, I had to get involved in something! Especially since I am now 90% sure that I'll be voting democratic on Tuesday and I'm still undecided for the upcoming vote in November. My neighbor and I dragged our little rugrats down to the library and waited for an hour and a half (they did seat us on time, it's just that Ms. Kennedy was late arriving) to hear her speak.

In preparation I read up on Obama's main issues again. I wanted to ask some questions about healthcare and possibly education if there was time! It got me all excited and energized to go and then once it started I was kind of underwhelmed. The rally was rather uniformative and surprisingly very lackluster . I was surprised at the unenthusiastic speeches. Perhaps Caroline was pooped. She's been all over Ohio today and may have been understandably tired, but I wanted something more. I expected to leave a little more inspired and excited to vote. Don't get me wrong, I'm still voting, and it WON'T be for "he/she who must not be named", I was just a little disappointed, that's all. I'm still glad that I got to be there and be a part of it though.

Zeb was pretty fidgity from sitting so long, but didn't squeal or screech during the speeches. The lighting wasn't fabulous but I got some pretty good pictures at the end. We were on the third row! and were completely surrounded by Ronald Regan haters :) Caroline Kennedy said something about him and everybody booed.

I tried to get a picture of Caroline and Zeb, but it came out completely blurred! I couldn't simultaneously hold/position Zeb and get a good enough angle to get a picture that included both of them! she did say that he was cute though :)

I do absolutely love Obama's education reform plan and Caroline touched on it very lightly. I got a video of that part of the speech but can't get it to load...I'll try later this evening!

I can't wait for Tuesday! It's kind of a big deal! Barack or Hillary?!?! what do you all think? Is anybody as angst ridden as I am?!?!?

11 comments:

taylor and laney said...

i am quite proud that you are becoming more political.

Anonymous said...

more political? what's that supposed to mean? I've always voted (even absentee in college)... I stood on the corner with my hunstman t-shirt and made cars honk... I have always made an effort to be informed on all voting issues!!! just because my major wasn't political science doesn't mean I wasn't political!! have you become more scientific lately?

Erin said...

I found Obama's website to be very informative: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/
If Barack doesn't win the democratic vote, I am voting for Nader.

Lyndsay said...

I was planning on attending the event with one of my coworkers but had things come up that made it so I couldn't. Thanks for the recap though! I was curious how the event would go down. Did they open it up for questions at all?

taylor and laney said...

my goodness. i never said you weren't political. I am just glad to see you getting involved. and no, i am no more scientific.

Kent and Leisy said...

laney..thanks. and kent and I discussed it... your pregnancy definitely counts as "more scientific". There are all sorts of scientific things going on with the fetus and your body.

lyndsay.. nope, no questions. I was bummed.

erin... I agree! can you imagine "he/she who must not be named" getting the ticket?!? ahhhhh.

Emilee said...

Obama's education reform? Like the part about "universal college education?" Do we want to turn college into the new high school? Because high school's really working out well for America right now. I'm OUT on that part.
I like Obama because he seems sincere, and I don't feel slimy when I hear him talk, unlike some others, whom I shall not name here. But many of his policies are just too impractical for me.

Kent and Leisy said...

I am drawn to his take on allowing for a little competition in k-12 education. Giving raises based on things besides years. His "universal college education" is simply a universal credit given to make college more affordable. No college or university is going to be run by the federal government.

Kent and Leisy said...

oh, and it would be my dream if I could actually find ANY candidate who didn't have some sort of policy I found impractical! :) I'm still decision making on this whole thing.

Emilee said...

I'm late coming back to this. I guess I've missed that part about teacher raises. I'm definitely in on that. I'm glad Utah is now debating giving signing bonuses to good math and science teachers as part of an incentive package. But, in public schools, merit-based raises are almost impossible to actually put into practice. Principals are unlikely to deny "performance bonuses" even to horrible teachers because they have nothing on the line.

Emilee said...

And there is basically already universal college education for anyone who wants to get it. Grants galore for poor kids and minority kids are available.