Friday, August 29, 2008

goodreads and not so good reads

Many of you blog readers are already on "goodreads" but if you aren't- PLEASE join (and then make me your friend). I love that there's a place I can go and find book recommendations from people that I know and trust. It is so great to be able to scour the lists of friends and find my next book.

I've been searching for more books to use for book club these next few months and I found this one- The Time Traveler's Wife.
Has anybody read it? I found numerous sites and recommendations about it and read lots of great reviews. I only found it to be so-so. I got really bored. It jumped around so much that it didn't keep my attention as well as I thought it would. I'd love to hear what somebody I know thought about it.



and about Breaking Dawn- I've possibly overvoiced my opinion already- but I HATED it. These books make me nuts and I cannot figure out the craze. The first is pretty darn good for a YA book. The second is a little repetitive but was okay. By book three I was so done. I shouldn't have read book four because it actually disappointed and frustrated me. My true review (with accompanying complaints) is on my goodreads account.



I always love more suggestions and ideas- so really, join the dang site.
Besides all the negatives with having Kent back in school and absent from my days, I do have buckets of free reading time. I've got a pile of books to jump into these next few weeks and I am so excited.

7 comments:

Jason & Shannon said...

I absolutely despised that book! I can't believe she put it out and people thought it was good. It was ridiculous, I can't even believe it is a best seller. I bought it and Jason told me he would never buy me another book if I didn't finish book three and four, and it took everything I had to just get through them so I could get another book. BLAH, Stephanie Meyers is seriously on my least favorite authors list. I could go on all day about how much I disliked those books but I don't want to take up all of the space in this comment section.

Amy and Craig said...

I haven't read the time traveler's wife, but wondered about it just like you. I did read Breaking Dawn and pretty much felt the same way you did about the series. I really felt that Breaking dawn was inappropriate for my beehives who are all reading the series. Bella and edward drive me nuts. She does write a page turner though. I really liked Thousand pieces of gold by RuthAnne Lum McCunn. I liked "The Red Tent" although it had some funky stuff in it. Also the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull are fantastic. The Peter and the Starcatchers are really fun. The Historian was slow at first but interesting. I enjoyed Treasure Island too.

Anonymous said...

After Interview with the Vampire and Salem's Lot the twilight series were such a yawn! It's a bad rehash of vampire material turned into a romance novel.

Susanna said...

I thought Time Traveler's Wife was okay, but like you, it really didn't keep my attention all that well. I also thought some of the language was pretty crude, so much that I wouln't recommend it to my book club.
Call me crazy, but I love the twilight series. I didn't love breaking dawn as much as I thought I would, but it left me satisfied.

tiffany said...

never read time traveler's wife and the twilight seires are the only books that have captured my attention long enough to finish any book that think. im currently reading night by ellie wiesel started last night its 120 pages im on page 32 its not capturing my attention all that much but i will finish it. i hope its already depressing me

Wanamakers said...

I haven't read either of those books, but I've been enjoying John Adams by McCullough (sp?). I also enjoyed a memoir called "A Girl Named Zippy," "Mayflower", by Nathaniel Philbrick, and a friend just finished a book called "North and South" that I want to read sometime. If you read the ones about New England - John Adams, and Mayflower, you can come visit us and we'll show you all the sites!

Kenna said...

I agree about the Time Traveler's Wife. I really kept my interest at first but it dragged on too long and bored me as well. Haven't read the other one.